What Not to Bring to the Venue
Commencement is a "Clear Bag Policy" [pdf] event. For the safety and enjoyment of all attendees, the following items are not permitted at the event center venue:
- NO Professional Recording Equipment – Photo Video, or Audio (No Detachable Lenses, Tripods, Big Zooms or Commercial Use Rigs)
- NO Drones or airborne flying devices
- NO Helium Balloons
- NO Artificial noise-making devices, horns, air horns
- NO Inflatable balls, frisbees, tortillas, etc.
- NO Confetti or streamers
- NO Skateboards, scooters, rollerblades
- NO Signs or banners larger than 3’ x 5’ and must be foldable (if a banner is brought, it will be inspected before being admitted. It may not be attached to any railings, fencing, etc. Must be held only)
- NO Coolers, hard sided coolers
- NO Outside Food or Beverages (Including Alcohol, Fruit and Candy)
- NO Illegal Substances, Drugs or Drug Paraphernalia
- NO Tobacco Products or Paraphernalia
- NO Markers, Pens or Spray Paint
- NO Laser Pointers
- NO Solid Backpacks, Purses or Bags (anything over 10" x 10") with the exception of a diaper bag that must accompany the child that uses it, and is subject to search (see our clear bag policy [pdf] [pdf])
- NO Weapons of Any Kind (includes Pocket Knives, Pepper Spray, Personal Protection Devices, Fireworks, etc.)
- NO Items deemed to be dangerous or inappropriate by management that may disrupt other attendees' enjoyment of the event
- NO Pets are permitted at this event. ADA service animals are allowed.
Please note the following
- There is no public storage for prohibited items, nor can any items be held by the event staff.
- SJSU is not responsible for any lost or stolen items.
- All guests will be subject to search, which may include the use of electronic devices, pat downs and inspections of bags.
- Guests are discouraged from bringing unnecessary items to the event.