In-Person Commencement Ceremonies
Congratulations and Welcome Back Classes of 2020 and 2021!
President Papazian announced on September 2 that after nearly two years, San Jose State University is FINALLY able to safely
host in-person commencement ceremonies.
That means that this December our fall 2021 graduating students will be invited to attend their college commencement ceremony, and our class of 2020, spring 2021 and summer 2021 graduated students will be invite to attend the official commencement ceremony of their choice!
The upcoming commencement ceremony schedule is below for reference, but registration is required. Eligible students will receive an email from the Commencement Office with a registration link through MarchingOrder.
Pre-registration is required! Commencement ceremonies will be available on a first come, first served basis. Register to participate through the link that was emailed by Sunday, November 14 at 11:59 p.m. Absolutely no walk-up participation will be permitted.
All registered students will receive up to six (6) guest tickets. Log into your MarchingOrder
account to claim your guest tickets
* Guest tickets are not required for participating graduates. Guest ticket allowance is subject to change based on capacity, CDC, state and county health guidelines.
All participating graduates are required to wear academic regalia in order to attend the commencement ceremony. Details about where to purchase regalia can be found below:
Beginning October 4, all participating graduates can purchase academic regalia to be delivered to the address of their choice. To order regalia and other graduation related items, click the following link: Purchase Academic Regalia
Shipping deadlines and costs are listed below:
- Order by 11/15/2021 at 8:59pm: Standard Shipping - $7.95
International Shipping - $24.95
- Order by 11/21/2021 at 8:59pm: Rush Shipping - $14.95
Want to save on shipping costs? Purchase your regalia in-person at the Spartan Bookstore starting on Monday, November 29.
Fall 2021 Graduating Students Only:
Fall 2021 graduating students may purchase regalia in-person at any time in the Spartan Bookstore during regular business hours.
Available after the registration deadline on Sunday, November 14 at 11:59 p.m. Each participating student will receive access to claim one (1) complimentary event parking permit. Additional event parking permits will be available for purchase.
Our Commencement ceremonies are required to follow the California Department of Public Health's mega indoor event policies. At this time, graduates and guests of all ages must provide proof of vaccination or a negative COVID-19 PCR test result within 72-hours of their ceremony (limited religious and medical exceptions may apply). All individuals over the age of 2 should also be prepared to wear a mask while indoors. As guidance evolves throughout the fall, circumstances may change. Please continue to monitor messages on our Health Advisories website for new information and guidance.
All attendees should be screened or self-screen for fever and COVID-19 symptoms before leaving home for the event. Use the SJSU COVID-19 Symptom Check Tool. Anyone who is feeling ill, has symptoms of COVID-19, or has potentially been exposed to someone with confirmed or suspected COVID-19 should not attend the on-campus photo experience.
The Provident Credit Union Event Center is an accessible building on campus. Students and guests with ADA accessibility needs will enter through the designated entrance on the ground floor of the venue. ADA accessible seating will be available inside of the venue. For questions, please contact the Commencement Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Event Prohibited Items:
For the safety and enjoyment of all attendees, the following items are not permitted at the event:
- NO Drones or airborne flying devices
- NO Helium Balloons
- NO Artificial noise-making devices, horns, air horns
- NO Inflatable balls, frisbees, tortillas, etc.
- NO Confetti or streamers
- NO Skateboards, scooters, rollerblades
- NO Signs or banners larger than 3’ x 5’ and must be foldable (if a banner is brought, it will be inspected before being admitted. It may not be attached to any railings, fencing, etc. Must be held only)
- NO Coolers, hard sided coolers
- NO Outside Food or Beverages (Including Alcohol, Fruit and Candy)
- NO Illegal Substances, Drugs or Drug Paraphernalia
- NO Tobacco Products or Paraphernalia
- NO Markers, Pens or Spray Paint
- NO Laser Pointers
- NO Backpacks, Large Purses or Bags (Anything Over 10“ x 10”)
- NO Weapons of Any Kind (Includes Pocket Knives, Pepper Spray, Fireworks, etc.)
- NO Professional Recording Equipment – Photo Video, or Audio (No Detachable Lenses, Tripods, Big Zooms or Commercial Use Rigs)
- NO Items deemed to be dangerous or inappropriate by management that may disrupt other attendees' enjoyment of the event
- NO Pets are permitted at this event. ADA service animals are allowed.
- There is no public storage for prohibited items, nor can any items be held by the event staff.
- SJSU is not responsible for any lost or stolen items.
- All guests will be subject to search, which may include the use of electronic devices, pat downs and inspections of bags.
- Guests are discouraged from bringing unnecessary items to the event.