Criterion is an Online Writing Evaluation service offered by ETS. It presents the faculty, writing instructors and administrators at various collegiate institutions of higher education with a reliable writing assessment tool for their students. Students work on their essays and submit them to receive feedback in the form of an aggregate score and an analysis with annotations to aid in the instruction of writing. You can access Criterion by visiting the Criterion website or through Canvas.
NOTE: You might consider using Excelsior OWL along with Criterion. Writer’s Help is a different, but complementary learning tool that also supports the development of better writing.
The access to Criterion for students will be provided by their respective instructors. The form below does not apply to students. Please use the guides below for more information.
- A General Overview for Students [pdf]
- Student QuickStart Guide: Register and Log in [pdf]
- Student QuickStart Guide: View and Submit Assignments [pdf]
- Student Criterion Full User Guide [pdf]
Note: Students, when creating your account please wait after clicking submit until a message from the service appears (usually within 5 seconds).
- Quick Access Guide (2 pg) [pdf]
- Instructor Guide for Criterion: Add Classes and Create Assignments [pdf]
- Instructor Guide for Criterion: Add Students, View Submissions, and Add Comments [pdf]
- Instructor Guide for Criterion: View feedback generated by Criterion [pdf]
- Instructor Criterion Full User Guide [pdf]
- Get Started with Criterion: Create an account, class, and assignment (4:52)
- Criterion: Add Students (1:48)
- Criterion: Feedback and Reports (2:24)
Faculty Feedback on Using Criterion
In the short video below, an instructor who teaches foreign language 100W reports that not only does she think this is a valuable tool, her students told her they find it helps them to improve their writing.
Faculty Feedback on Criterion from eCampus on Vimeo
Please complete the form below to get the instructor access code to Criterion. (Note: You must be logged into your @sjsu.edu email for access to the form below.)