BA, Educational and Community Leadership
Create Change and Tackle Inequality
We've developed this pathway for individuals who have accrued some college credits with a flexible and engaging opportunity to complete their bachelor’s degree. The curriculum is entirely online and brings together a variety of academic disciplines including education and the social sciences with a focus on leadership skills and promoting social justice to support career advancement. Learn more about what this means for a few of our students - Doris, Jeff, Mona Lisa, and Ruby - by watching the full video above or by using the links below!
- Why our program appealed to them
- Examples of significant learning moments they've had
- How their professors have impacted them
Current social movements in California and across the United States have highlighted the need for reform in our community institutions to establish equity, access, and social justice. To have effective reforms, our local communities need a diverse corps of highly skilled educators and social servants. In addition to the core courses in leadership and social justice, our new BA in Interdisciplinary Studies offers course pathways in:
- Early childhood education - supporting the development of children age 0 to 5 and their families
- Inclusive education - educational approaches to serve k-12 students of diverse backgrounds, languages, and abilities in both formal and informal learning environments
- Program Overview
- Program Learning Outcomes
- Admission Requirements
- Upcoming Info Sessions
- Steps to Apply
- Request More Information
- Official Title: Bachelor of Arts in Interdisciplinary Studies, Concentration in Educational and Community Leadership
- Format: Part-time, 100% online, year-round
- Units: 60
- Start date: Fall
- Program length: 2 years
- Program cost: $425/unit
- Application deadline: November 30
The first 25 applications who are admitted and enroll in our program for the Spring 2022 semester will each receive $1200 scholarships for the Spring 2022 and Summer 2022 terms ($2400 total).
We will also work with applicants to apply for Federal Pell Grants. Applicants who enroll during the 2021-2022 academic year can apply in Spring 2022 for SJSU Lurie College of Education scholarships for the 2022-2023 academic year.
As a result of completing this program, students will learn how to:
- Create interdisciplinary strategies to manage challenges within one’s professional field.
- Take leadership opportunities (planning, coordination, technology, and managing) that promote change for the betterment of all individuals within a community system. Use an assets-based approach when supporting child, youth, adult, and community development.
- Advocate an anti-racist approach to establish social justice with diverse communities.
- Communicate ethically and responsibly in oral and written form across settings, purposes, and audiences.
- Analyze an issue or problem, integrating at least two disciplinary perspectives.
- Completion of at least 60 transferable semester units or 90 quarter units. A maximum
of 70 units from community colleges can be transferred toward the degree.
- Completion of all CSU Lower Division General Education Requirements (39 units).
- Completion of all four CSU-approved General Education requirements with a C- or higher.
- (A1) Oral Communication/Speech
- (A2) Written English Composition
- (A3) Critical Thinking/Logic
- (B4) Math/Quantitative Reasoning (above the level of intermediate algebra)
- GPA of 2.0 or better
- In choosing the Early Childhood Education specialization pathway, students must have or find access for field placement in a suitable early childhood setting.
Contact us to check your eligibility for the program.
Program Coursework | 60 Units
- Friday, October 1, 2021, 12pm | Zoom link
- Contact us to check your eligibility to apply - completing 60 units of lower-division general education (GE) requirements
- We can help you locate transcripts from your previous schools to review courses and guide you through the steps to applying on CalState Apply
- Complete the SJSU Transfer Steps to Admission
- Our Spring 2022 Admission Application Deadline is November 30, 2021. If you had any issues with submitting the Spring 2022 application, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Phone: 408-924-3227
- Hours: Monday-Friday, 9am-2pm
- Email: email@example.com