Aubrey Uresti, PhD
Assistant Professor, Counselor Education
A California credentialed K-12 school counselor and a National Certified School Counselor, Aubrey Uresti has experience in all levels of K-12 education as a teacher, school counselor, therapist, supervisor, and consultant. She is a licensed professional clinical counselor (LPCC) and a National Certified Counselor. Her research focuses on the individual, family, and extended family-level experiences of adolescents who have a parent in jail or prison, as well as their meaning-making processes regarding parental incarceration. Additional research interests include urban education and school counseling, school-based support, grief and loss, peer victimization, child and adolescent development issues, and lifelong learning for counselors.
- Ph.D., Education (Learning and Mind Sciences), University of California, Davis
- M.A., Counseling (School Counseling and Marriage & Family Therapy), Saint Mary's College
- B.A., Sociology (minor in Critical Social Thought), San Francisco State University
- Uresti, A. (in press). Mentoring moment: For kwg. In K. W. Guyotte & J. Wolgemuth (Eds.), Philosophical mentoring in qualitative research: Collaborating and inquiring together (pp. TBD). Routledge.
- California Association of School Counselors, California Association of School Psychologists,
& California Association of School Social Workers. (2021). School-based mental health: School and community partnerships [pdf]
[Joint position statement].
- Aragon, J., Arrellano, L. M., Brazzel, P., Cárdenas, J., Catalde, T., Cottrill, M., Giambona, M., Manos, S., McMillian, K., Parsons, J., Peevy, J, Pianta, R., Schroeder, M., Sopp, T. J, Strear, M., Thomas, S., Topalian, J., Uresti, A., Weglarz, L., . . . Zavalza, O. (2020). Fostering the whole child: A guide to school-based mental health professionals [pdf]. California Association of School Social Workers, California Association of School Counselors, California Association of School Psychologists.
- Uresti, A., Thomas, S. R., & Louis, E. L. (October 2021). Fostering the development of emancipatory school counselors through expressive arts and anti-racist practices. Proposal accepted for presentation at the annual conference of the California Association of School Counselors (CASC) [virtual].
- Uresti, A. (October 2021). "I will have your back": Teaching school-based mental health professionals to understand to the lives of children of incarcerated parents. Proposal accepted for poster presentation at the biennial conference of the Association for Counselor Education and Supervision (ACES), Atlanta, GA.
- Uresti, A. (July 2021). Anti-racist lessons for parental incarceration. Presentation at the annual conference of the American School Counselor Association (ASCA), Las Vegas, NV.
- Uresti, A., & Thomas, S. R. (July 2021). Reclaim hope through self-care. Presentation at the annual conference of the American School Counselor Association (ASCA), Las Vegas, NV.
- Murphy, N., Riel, M., Rubio Carrillo, V. M., Thomas, S. R., & Uresti, A. (June 2021).
Action research communities: Past perspectives, current projects, future directions.
Bilingual symposium discussant at the annual
conference of the Action Research Network of the Americas (ARNA), Puerto Vallarta, Mexico [virtual].
- Uresti, A., Herrera, J. A.*, & Thomas, S. R. (June 2021). Conversations about self-care
as we emerge from the COVID-19 global pandemic. Bilingual presentation at the annual
conference of the Action Research
Network of the Americas (ARNA), Puerto Vallarta, Mexico [virtual].
Areas of Research Interest
- Grief and loss
- K-12 school counseling
- Parental incarceration
- Qualitative research
- Urban education
- Visual methodologies
- Grief is the Thing with Feathers by Max Porter
- Peace is Every Step: The Path of Mindfulness in Everyday Life by Thich Nhat Hanh
Listen to Aubrey's playlist below and access all of the personality playlists on our Lurie College of Education Spotify account