Cara Maffini, PhD
Associate Professor, Child & Adolescent Development
Cara's research encompasses intersections of culture, mental health, trauma particularly among adolescents and emerging adults. She focuses on socioemotional, cultural, and developmental elements of risk and resilience. Cara has expertise in counseling psychology, trauma-informed care, and culturally-responsive approaches to healing and healthy development. She is a founding faculty member of SJSU's Health Development Community Clinic (HDCC).
- Ph.D., Counseling Psychology, Indiana University
- M.A., Psychology, Sacramento State University
- B.A.S., Psychobiology and Dance, UC Davis
Marx, R., Maffini, C. S., Peña, F. (in press). Understanding nonbinary college students’ experiences on college campuses: An exploratory study of mental health, campus Involvement, victimization and safety. Submitted to Journal of Diversity in Higher Education. https://doi.org/ 10.1037/dhe0000422
Maffini, C. S., Paradis, G., & Molthen, F. (in press). Integrating two families: Factors influencing relationship satisfaction among intercultural couples. Journal of Comparative Family Studies, 53(2), 238-257. https://doi.org/ 10.3138/jcfs.53.2.050
Maffini, C. S., & Dillard, K. C. (2022). Safe & sound? Perceptions of campus safety for Black college students. Race Ethnicity and Education, 25(1), 2-17. https://doi.org/10.1080/13613324.2021.1997972
Paradis, G., & Maffini, C. S. (2021). Navigating intercultural relational dynamics: The roles of attachment and cultural values. Journal of Multicultural Counseling & Development, 49(4). https://doi.org/10.1002/jmcd.12225
West, M. T., & Maffini, C. S. (2019). ‘What are you?’ Conceptualizing the complexities of bicultural and biracial college student experiences. Journal of College Counseling, 22, 164-178. https://doi.org/10.1002/jocc.12128
Simpson, L. A., Maffini, C. S., Schuck, R. (2019). Examining use of school personnel in CBT interventions for anxiety in students with ASD. Education and Training in Autism and Developmental Disabilities, 54, 301-312.
Linares, J., & Maffini, C. S. (2018). Voces de resistencia: Exploring Salvadoran students’ experiences and needs in higher education. Journal of Hispanic Higher Education, 19(4), 388-403. https://doi.org/10.1177/1538192718814129
- Palmer, A., & Maffini, C. S. (2021, April). Growing up with a sibling with Autism: College students’ perspectives. Poster Presentation at the annual Western Psychological Association (WPA) Virtual Convention.
- Chavez, K. & Maffini, C. S. (2021, April). Experiences of Latinx College Students during COVID-19. Poster Presentation at the annual Western Psychological Association (WPA) Virtual Convention.
- Marx, R., Peña, F., & Maffini, C. S. (2021, April). Who’s under the LGBTQ+ umbrella? Understanding nonbinary college students’ experiences on campus. Flash Talk Session: Attitudes toward and experiences of transgender and gender diverse youth. Society for Research in Child Development (SRCD) Virtual Biennial Meeting.
Noteworthy Grants and Awards
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) Congressional Directive Spending Projects - $500,000
Areas of Research Interest
- Adolescents / emerging adults
- Campus safety
- Communities of color
- Intergenerational transmission of trauma
- Psychological well-being / mental health
- East Eats West: Writing in Two Hemispheres by Andrew Lam
- Like a Mother: A Feminist Journey Through the Science and Culture of Pregnancy by Angela Garbes
The Social Justice Advocate's Handbook: A Guide to Gender by Samm Killermann
Listen to Cara's playlist below and access all of the personality playlists on our Lurie College of Education Spotify account