Lorri Capizzi, EdD (she/her)
Assistant Professor, Counselor Education
Lorri Capizzi teaches counseling and guidance graduate level courses. She has over 10 years of supervising school counselors in their fieldwork in high need districts and in schools for students under court supervision. Dr. Capizzi has over 15 years of federal grant administration experience with GEAR UP working with schools, districts, and counties serving students in foster care and students experiencing homelessness. Dr. Capizzi's expertise with underserved youth spans K‑12 to higher education with emphasis on practice-based training and applied research. Her project partnerships include California Department of Education, County Offices of Education Foster and Homeless divisions & California Department of Child and Family Services.
- Ed.D., Educational Leadership, San Francisco State University
- M.A., Education, Concentration in Counseling and Student Personnel, San José State University
- M.A., Education, Concentration in Special Education, San José State University
- B.A., Child Development, San José State University
- Capizzi, L. & Bruce, E. (under revision). The Role of School Counselors Working with Foster Youth: Increasing Academic Achievement. Journal of School Counseling.
- Qi, S, Lee, Capizzi, L. Seung, J. L., (2019). Benefits of Online Support Groups for Chinese‑American Parents of Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder. Journal of the International Association of Special Education, 19(1), 67-77.
- Capizzi, L.M., Hoffstetter, C. H., Mena, D., Duckor, B., & Hu, X. (2017). Promoting low-income students’ college readiness, well-being, and success: A GEAR UP counseling program study. Journal of School Counseling. 15(3). 1-26.
- Capizzi, L. M., (2019, April). Foster Youth in Higher Education: School Counselors’ Impact on Educational Pathways. Poster presentation at the American Educational Research Association Conference, Montreal, Canada.
- Capizzi, L. M. (Panel Chair), Hu, X., Jin, C., Chen, Y., Li, Z., (2018, May). Development of Career Counseling in Secondary Education in the People’s Republic of China. Asia Pacific Career Development Association., Beijing, China.
- Capizzi, L. M., Davis, C., Martinez, D., (2018, April). Former Foster Youth in Higher Education: First Year Experience “If I had only known...”. California Foster Youth Summit, Pomona, CA.
- Mena, D. D., Capizzi, L. M., (2018, April). How a college preparation program helped to create college dreams for Latino high school Dreamers. Paper accepted for presentation at the American Educational Research Association Conference, New York, NY.
- Capizzi, L., Panelist (2017, February). Pathways to Community-engaged Learning CommUniverCity San Jose. Teaching and Learning Symposium. San Jose, CA.
Noteworthy Grants and Awards
- (2020) Co-Principal Investigator, Center for Closing the Opportunity Gaps (CCOG). Project Title: Building K-12 Educational Capacity for Youth in Foster Care and Youth Experiencing Homelessness in California. A Center for Collaborative Research and Excellence in Education (CCREE) Initiative at the Lurie College of Education. Sponsor: CSU Long Beach and the CSU Chancellor’s Office.