Faculty Learning Community
The Faculty Learning Community (FLC) program was started in 2016 in response to the COE Strategic Plan 2014-2019, and featured regular lunch meetings where like-minded faculty could convene and discuss topics of mutual interest. The two original FLC tracks were in (1) student success, and (2) in engineering education. The current FLC content will feature online learning and instructional design. Faculty can contact Eileen Chen at firstname.lastname@example.org to get added to Canvas shell for 2019 resources.
- The Student Success FLC and resources
3/3/2020 - 3/4/2020: Writing Across the Curriculum Working With Undergraduate Student Writers. Tom Moriarty, Department of English and Writing Across the Curriculum Program.
12/6/2019: Microagressions: How to reduce these in our classrooms along with give students skills to succeed in industry.
11/14/2019: Learning by Doing - Service and Community Engaged Learning: What are the benefits for engineering students along with the nuts and bolts of how to structure a successful project.
10/17/2019: Competency Based Assessment: What is already going on in our college and how to expand it.
9/25/2019: How are your students doing in your class and your department? Addressing issues you may be having in class now; Advanced tips on Canvas and technology in the classroom; Looking at our data in the CalState Dashboard.
4/26/2019: How Gradescope can help cut grading times and provide valuable insight into student learning. Presented by Gal Friedman and his team. 1) Apply for an account via Gradescop homepage, 2) a general Gradescope walkthrough video here, 3) scanning tips and best practices, 4) creating a homework assignment 5) Get Started and 6) email: email@example.com for questions.
9/27/2018: Piazza Workshop (Krystine Altamira, CaitlinMcGarry). A new toolkit faculty can be found here: piazza.com/toolkit, and for CTLs: piazza.com/ctl
5/3/2018: Flipped courses for the First In The World Grant (Laura Sullivan-Green).
11/1/2017: $3M First in the World Grant (Pat, Laura, and Dave). SJSU is one of three CSU campuses to collaborate on developing flipped course materials for Calculus I, Physics, and Circuits. Link to Tweet
Instructional Design Past Workshop
- Faculty Conversation & Events (2021)
- 4/29/2021: Transitioning to In-Person/Hybrid Classes: Things to Keep or Not for your consideration with Online Classes (Presenter: Rich II) (slides, recording)- 4/23/2021: Implementation of mastery learning pedagogies in an upper division engineering class: lessons learnt and students' experience (Presenter: Professor Maria Chierichetti) (slides, recording)- 4/15/2021: Best Practices for Active Learning (online and in-person classroom)- 3/24/2021: How to create accessible PowerPoint slides (Pesenter: Eileen Chen) (slides)- 3/11/2021: Gradescope panel discussion (Professor Carlos Rojas and Vimal Viswanathan)- 2/26/2021: Assessment options discussion- 2/19/2021: Labster Virtual Lab Q&A by Labster (Presenter: Stephanie Benevides and Alison Malo)
- CoE Instructional Design past training workshops (2020)
Training Workshops and Events11/10/2020: Topic: Canvas Rubrics: Why and how should I add rubrics on Canvas?10/27/2020: Topic: Questions? Please join our Open Q&A Sessions.10/8/2020: Zoom III: How to use Breakout Rooms to facilitate student collaboration10/1/2020: Zoom II: How to make learning more interactive and effective in Zoom9/30/2020: Zoom I: Meeting setup, in-session control, template, and recording optionsZoom Series (for faculty and staff)9/4/2020: Zoom IV: Using iPad to write and sketch (Presented by Ishie Eswar, CmpE faculty)9/3/2020: Instructional Design: FAQ open session9/2/2020: Zoom IV: Using iPad to write and sketch (Presented by Carlos Rojas, CmpE faculty)8/28/2020: Zoom III: How to use Breakout Rooms to facilitate student collaboration8/27/2020: Zoom II: How to make learning more interactive and effective in Zoom8/26/2020: Zoom I: Meeting setup, in-session control, template, and recording optionsInstructional Design: FAQ open session (2)
8/25/2020, 8/19/2020Canvas Training Workshop (3)Using Rubrics, Outcomes, Learning Mastery Gradebook, and Gradebook (2)8/11/2020, 8/10/20208/7/2020: Communication, Collaboration, and Assessment (1)Teaching with Zoom IV (6)How to make learning more interactive and effective in Zoom (2)8/4/2020, 8/3/2020How to use a stylus and a mobile device for Whiteboard collaboration in Zoom (4)8/14/2020, 7/31/2020, 7/28/2020, 7/27/2020Hosting Zoom Meetings (for staff)
5/7/2020: Securing your Zoom meetingTeaching with Zoom Series II (for faculty)5/7/2020: Securing your Zoom meeting, Zoom classroom management, student report, and office hour templatesProctorio online exam tool (6)5/6/2020, 5/5/2020, 5/4/2020, 5/1/2020 (11:00am - 11:30pm), 5/1/2020 (2:00pm -2:30pm), 4/30/2020Teaching With Zoom II (Online Workshops)4/10/2020: Zoom classroom management, student report, and set up an office hourOnline Exam Series II (Online Workshops) (11)Lockdown Browser + Respondus (2)
4/10/2020, 4/8/2020ProctorU Overview (3)4/7/2020, 4/3/2020, 4/2/2020Teaching With Zoom I (get ready for remote teaching due to COVID 19) (7)
Topics: Zoom overview. Location: In-Person (ENGR 285/287)
- 3:00pm - 4:00pm, 3/10/2020 (Tuesday)
- 10:00am - 11:00am, 3/11/2020 (Wednesday)
- 11:00am - 12:00pm, 3/11/2020 (Wednesday)
- 3:00pm - 4:00pm, 3/11/2020( Wednesday)
- 10:00am - 12:00am, 3/12/2020(Thursday)* FAQ Special Session*
- 2:00pm - 3:00pm, 3/12/2020 (Thursday)
- 3:30pm - 4:30pm, 3/12/2020 (Thursday)
Location: Zoom (remote workshops) (2)
- 9:30am - 10:30am, 3/13/2020 (Friday) Online
- 2:30am -3:30am, 3/13/2020 (Friday) Online
- Faculty Conversation Events and slides (organized and slides prep by CoE Instructional
- 11/13/2020: Remote exam options discussion: Proctorio ((Event slides)
Faculty panelist: Dahyun Oh (CMS)- 11/6/2020: Flipped class strategies (Event slides)
Faculty panelists: Vimal Viswanathan (ME) and Ishie Eswar (CmpE)- 10/30/2020: Using rubrics to measure student learning outcomes (Event slides)Faculty panelists: Mahima Agumbe Suresh (CmpE), Amir Armani (ME), and Ishie Eswar (CmpE)- 10/16/2020: Active learning for your remote teaching (Event slides)Faculty panelists: Ishie Eswar, Carlos Rojas, and Mahima Agumbe Suresh (CmpE)- 10/9/2020: Remote teaching experience sharing (Event slides)Faculty panelists: Ishie Eswar (CmpE), and Mahima Agumbe Suresh (CmpE)- 10/2/2020: Using breakout rooms for student collaboration/engagement (Event Slides)Faculty panelists: Jeanine Hunter (AE), Edward Cydzik (ME), and Dahyun Oh (CME)- 9/25/2020: Remote exam options discussion (Event slides)
Faculty panelists: Mahima Agumbe Suresh (CmpE), David Parent (EE), and Farzan Kazemifar (ME)
- Faculty Learning Training Workshop (and resources) (2020)
- 11/4/2020 Asynchronous teaching using Studio workshopFaculty speaker: Amir Armani (ME) (slides)- 10/7/2020 Remote Exam proctoring, Piazza, and uploading videos to YouTubeFaculty speaker: Mahima Agumbe Suresh (CmpE Department)
- ID Open FAQ Session Drop In Hour
ID Open FAQ Session (CoE Instructional Design)- 2:00-2:45 pm, 2/10/2021 (Wed.)
- 3:00-3:45 pm, 2/18/2021 (Thur.)
- 11:00 - 11:45 am, 2/24/2021 (Wed.)