Transfer Orientation Dates & FAQ
Transfer students have TWO days of orientation.
- MAY: Pre-orientation Academic Advising
Purpose: To meet with an advisor and receive academic advising in a group or one-on-one. This is presented through the Engineering Student Success Center (email@example.com)
Registration: Students will receive a message in their MySJSU portal, with a link to reserve a date for Pre-Orientation Academic Advising.
Dates (depending on admitted major):
Friday, May 14, 2021
Monday, May 17, 2021
Wednesday, May 19, 2021
Tuesday, May 25, 2021
Friday, May 28, 2021
- JUNE: Spartan Experience for Transfers (SET) Orientation
Purpose: To learn important information about the University and the College of Engineering. This is presented through the office of New Student and Family Programs.
Registration: Students register with NEXT STEPS
Tuesday, June 8, 2021
Friday, June 11, 2021
Tuesday, June 15, 2021
Friday, June 18, 2021
Tuesday, June 22, 2021
Thursday, June 24, 2021
Tuesday, June 29, 2021
Friday, August 6, 2021
- Canvas course
All new transfer students have been added to "Transfer Academic Success in the College of Engineering," the ESSC's Canvas shell. We will use this to communicate important registration dates and deadlines.
If you do not have access to this course, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and SJSU student ID number.
Read before attending orientation.
What is it like to register for classes online?
A simple metaphor might help:
Imagine you are buying concert tickets. The ticketing office sets a specific time and day people can buy tickets online. For high-demand performances, ticket buyers count down to the second they can click the "purchase" button in order to get the best seat, preferred show date, and number of tickets.
Enrolling in courses during orientation is similar, except students have many options for alternative general education and major courses appilcable to your degree requirements.
The important thing is to be prepared before your enrollment appointment.
What if I don't know which courses to choose?
1) New Transfer Students will receive an invitation to a Canvas course called Transfer Academic Success in the College of Engineering (Cohort 2021-2022). This will be available on May 3rd.
This "course" will have comprehensive information related to graduation requirements for all students as well as major-specific information.
2) The purpose of Pre-Orientation Academic Advising in May is for students to get advising from their major advisors.
When can I start registering for Fall 2021?
Fully-admitted transfer students may register Monday, June 7th.
Conditionally-admitted transfer students must complete items in their "To-Do" list on MySJSU.
When can I start registering online without an add code?
The Registrar's page linked below answers this question:
How do I register?
- Students can use MyScheduler or manually search for courses through MySJSU. Learn more on our Registering for Courses Page.
How can I check if my transcripts have been received?
- Students usually receive an email from the Registrar's office when transcripts are received. However, this does not mean they are processed.
How can I check if my transcripts have been processed and posted to my records?
- Please check your Transfer Credit Report in MySJSU.
Why does MyProgress show I am missing requirements? My transcript report shows my
classes transferred to SJSU.
- Students might need a Transfer Equivalency Petition. If your course does not have articulation on Assist, it might have been processed as a general lower division transferred course instead of, say, MATH 30. Ask an advisor about this petition or read about it on our Transfer Equivalency Petition page.