2022/2023 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)

Below are some of the most frequently asked questions regarding on-campus living. If you don't find the answer you are looking for, please feel free to contact University Housing Services.

General Questions

Petition to Cancel

What if I need to cancel my contract?  Will I get my money back?

A petition to cancel the Housing License Agreement may be approved for a number of reasons stated in the Annual Housing License Agreement. (See section 10a and b).

All cancellations for reasons listed in the Annual Housing License Agreement are subject to a $100 non-refundable license processing fee. Additional fees may apply depending on when you petition to cancel your License Agreement; including but not limited to a 30-day prorated housing fee, and prorated board, parking and telephone if applicable. The $50.00 application fee is non-refundable in all cases. In addition; Licensee must submit all cancellation requests in writing to UHS.


FAQ's (Payment, Housing Installment Payment Plan, Extensions and Financial Aid)

Important things to remember

1) Housing Extensions only defer a portion of your housing charges until financial aid is disbursed; you are still responsible for the remaining balance.

2) If your financial aid is delayed for some reason, you are responsible for paying your outstanding balance on or before the scheduled due dates.

3) Tuition fee deferrals are intended for tuition ONLY and will NOT defer your housing charges. For more information regarding tuition fee deferrals please visit: https://www.sjsu.edu/faso/process/tuition-feedeferral.php 

4) If you receive a late notice or call, don't ignore it! Come in and speak with the Housing Resident Accounts Coordinator in the Housing Office or an Account Specialist in the Bursar’s Office.

Financial aid may be delayed for a number of reasons, please visit the Financial Aid Office website and review the Seven Steps to Financial Aid if you have questions about your award.

Scenarios for Financial Aid, Extensions and Payments:



Students are responsible for their own accounts. If students choose to do so, they may authorize a parent user to discuss financial information regarding their accounts. Information regarding a student’s account cannot be given out to anyone other than the student unless the student has identified an authorized parent user through their MySJSU account. The information allowed to be given to authorized parent users is restricted to only financial information due to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). Below is a link to more information regarding FERPA as well as a link on how to add an authorized parent user to a student’s account.

FERPA information:


How to add an authorized parent user:
http://www.sjsu.edu/bursar/docs/steps/setup_authorized_user.pdf [pdf] [pdf]

For more tutorials on how to locate information on your MYSJSU account, please visit: