To determine when your plan is due, view the Program Planning Calendar. The Office of Institutional Effectiveness and Strategic Analytics (IESA) is the administrative unit assigned to oversee the Program Planning Process.
- Step 1 Initiate Program Plan Cycle
- One full semester in advance of the due date of the Program Plan, the Program Planning Committee (PPC) Chair and IESA Research Associate and Program Coordinator (RAPA) initiate the Program Planning Process for each department (or school or program) by sending a reminder to the department chair of the upcoming review and providing an overview session. The IESA RAPA also generates a Curriculog form that will be routed to Institutional Research to attach documentation regarding the Required Data Elements [pdf] (guidelines linked). The form will then be routed to the department chair to attach the self study after completing Step #2.
- Step 2 Writing the Self Study
The department chair or designee writes the self study in consultation with the faculty in the department using the Non-Accredited Program Plan Template [docx] or Accredited Program Plan Template [docx].
The completed self study is submitted via the Curriculog form, which will subsequently route to the college dean and the Program Planning Committee. If an external review is required also include the three names and CV's of qualified external reviewers. As applicable, departments will also need to complete the following components:
- General Education Component. Departments with General Education courses must submit a variety of support materials (per University Policy S14-5 [pdf]). Review the GE Component guidelines section.
- Certificate Programs. Departments with certificate programs must submit documentation as described in University Policy S13-10 [pdf].
- Undergraduate Programs 120+ Units. If an undergraduate program has more than 120 units, an application for the 120 unit exception is required (University Policy S01-5 [pdf]).
- Step 3 External Review
An External Reviewer is invited to review the department’s program. The External Reviewers role is to bring an informed and dispassionate view to the assessment of the plan as it is presented.
This step is not required for programs for externally professionally accredited programs that have already undergone external review. The department attaches the reaffirmation of accreditation letter as evidence to the self-study.
- Step 4 Program Planning Committee Review
The Program Planning Committee (PPC) reviews self study and appendices, including the external reviewer report or accreditation letter. PPC prepares a Letter to the Provost, which includes a summary of key points, and the committee's evaluation and recommendations.
- Step 5 Action Plan
The focus of the Action Plan meeting is to discuss results of the program planning process and agree upon an action plan for the department. The Action Plan meeting agenda is informed by the Letter to the Provost written by the Program Planning Committee - see Step 4. The final Action Plan is signed by the department chair, college dean, and Provost.