Calculus Placement Exam Information
NOTE: If you are a current student and need the Calculus Placement Exam to enroll for summer and/or Fall, email or stop by the Testing Office. Incoming students for Fall, see below for more information.
About the CPE
The Calculus Placement Exam (CPE) is offered to students who want to enroll in Math 30P, Math 30PL, Math 30, or Math 71 without having to meet the prerequisites some other way.
- Students who already meet the prerequisites or who want to enroll in Precalculus or
College Algebra do not need to take the placement exam - visit the placement and prequisite page for more
- Students who do not already meet the prerequisites will not be able to enroll in their Calculus I class until they have taken the placement exam.
- Students who took the AP Calculus Exam should refer to the Prerequisite page for more information.
- Students with transfer credit should check the SJSU course articulation agreements to see if their transfer credits satisfy the prerequisites.
- The prerequisite for Math 42 (Discrete Mathematics) can also be satisfied with the CPE if the score earned is sufficient to place a student into Math 30P, Math 30PL or Math 30.
To schedule an exam, please contact the Testing office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students requiring accommodations should indicate their requests when they schedule their test.
Frequently Asked Questions
CPE for Incoming Freshmen
- It is strongly recommended that incoming freshmen take their placement exam either before their orientation so that they will be able to register for the appropriate math classes during orientation registration.
- If you have any issues, contact the Testing Office at email@example.com.