Doctor of Nursing Practice
Our Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) program is a 5-semester post-master's degree program designed to mesh with a full-time professional work schedule.
Quick Jump guide:
- Eligibility and Prerequisites
- Application Deadlines and Proceedures
- Applicant Resources
- DNP Program Information Page
Eligibility and Prerequisites
Prospective students applying for admission to the DNP program must have the following:
- Active, unrestricted California RN licensure and (if applicable) an advanced practice national certification
- Master's Degree in Nursing Science (MS or MSN). Or, a Master’s Degree in a health-related
field (e.g. Public Health, Health Administration) with additional post-baccalaureate
courses in nursing theories, research methods, trans-cultural nursing, and informatics.
- Master’s degree must be completed/received no later than Aug 1st prior to admission
- GPA of 3.0 or above, in pre-doctoral courses
- Meet requirements of San José State University Graduate Admissions
- Demonstrate sufficient preparation and practice experience as an APN, nurse manager, nurse administrator, executive, educator, or professional nurse.
- A personal written statement of purpose. Must be doubled-spaced and address the following: what you expect to accomplish in the DNP program and how the DNP program will advance your nursing career and practice. You may include your potential area of focus, which should be your primary area of focus for your DNP project.
- U.S citizenship or U.S permanent residency
Application Deadline and Procedures
The DNP program admits students in the Fall semester only. Admitted students will progress through the program as a cohort.
Three Steps to Admission
The DNP program tuition is $7,635.00 per semester, plus SJSU student and registration fees, books, and travel (for the beginning-of-the-program meeting) expenses.
Over five semesters, current program tuition is $38,175 + SJSU fees.
- DNP Information Sessions: online info sessions are held throughout the Fall/Spring semesters. The schedule can be found on the Future Student Advising page. For additional information, or general questions, contact DoctorNursingPractice@SJSU.edu.
- Applicants Residing Outside of CA: We are not currently accepting out-of-state applications. This is being actively pursued; please contact the program team at firstname.lastname@example.org for inquiries.
- Financial Aid
- University Graduate-level Application Requirements
- College of Graduate Studies pre-application advising