Our Student Success team is here to make sure that you receive quality academic advising, utilize helpful academic resources, and stay on track to complete your degree.
On this page:
- Orientation and Academic Advising
- Important Dates and Deadlines
- Payment and Refunds
- Helpful Forms
- SJSU Online and SJSU Resources
It's our priority for you to have a successful start to your SJSU Online experience.
Before you begin your classes, we will give you access to our self-paced SJSU Online New Student Success online onboarding course and invite you to attend a live, online orientation so you can understand the course registration process, learn how to utilize campus resources, and chat with academic advisors, faculty, and students.
Additionally, our Student Success Advising Team will meet with you individually throughout your program to discuss your academic goals, create a personalized success plan, and stay on track to complete your degree.
Meet the Student Success Advising Team
Sarah Gordon, Director
Sarah has over 15 years of experience in higher education, including 11 years in the California State University system and most recently as the Director of the SJSU College of Engineering Student Success Center. She is passionate about providing access to quality education and supporting students of all majors as they work towards completing their degrees. Sarah received her BA in Psychology from Lee University and MS in Counseling from Azusa Pacific University.
Nasiha Alicic, Advisor
Nasiha earned a Bachelor of Arts and Master of Arts in History from the University of California, Riverside and a Graduate Certificate in Academic Advising from Kansas State University. She has worked in both higher education and continuing education, with roles including a graduate teaching assistant, a career services advisor for a video game development and graphic design program, and most recently as an academic advisor for the College of Arts and Humanities at Central Washington University. Nasiha aims to utilize her experience to help students thrive and develop their sense of self and life-long skills.
Jamie Carranza, Advisor
Jamie has over six years of experience working in higher education. Her professional experiences have centered on student retention and success along with outreach and recruitment. Her previous roles include Student Success Coach with the University of California, San Diego, Student Services Program Specialist at Mt. San Antonio College, and most recently Outreach and Recruitment Specialist for the BSISDA program at San José State University. Jamie earned her Master's in Postsecondary Educational Leadership from San Diego State University and has a Bachelor's in Human Development from the University of California San Diego.
Jake Lorchueya, Advisor
Jake received his Bachelor of Arts in History and a Master of Science in Counseling with a Concentration in Student Affairs and College Counseling from California State University, Fresno. His career choice stems from a desire to help students thrive and achieve their academic goals. He has experience in admission and recruitment, academic coaching, community college advising, and dual enrollment/high school enrichment advising. With his lived experiences and accumulated knowledge, Jake aims to make students feel supported and empowered throughout their journey in higher education.
Sarah Miers, Advisor
Sarah received her undergraduate degree in Human Development at Sonoma State University and her Master’s in Education / Counseling Student and Personnel at San José State University. Sarah has served students and families for the past 14 years with enrollment, academics, and financial aid in an online university program, UC, nonprofit scholarship program, and high school. For the past 8 years, she has worked closely with first generation low-income students. She is passionate about education being accessible and equitable and enjoys working with students who are transitioning into a new school. As a lifelong learner and parent of children with learning differences, she is following her interests and obtaining a certificate to be an educational therapist.
Ryan Ploch-Branscum, Advisor
Ryan has over five years of experience working in higher education. He completed his BA in Sociology and MA in Education with a Concentration in Counseling and Student Personnel, both from San José State University. Ryan has demonstrated experience in leading student success programs at SJSU serving as a Lead Academic Advisor in the College of Science, Lead Peer Mentor in the College of Social Sciences, and Academic Support Mentor at University Housing Services.
Our academic calendar highlights all of the important dates and deadlines for new and continuing SJSU Online students.
Fall B Term 2023
Spring A Term 2024
Spring B Term 2024
After enrolling, make sure to pay your required fees so that you are not withdrawn from your courses. Check your MySJSU account under "Finances" to see your payment due date and utilize the resources below for additional support.
- Payment due date: Use this guide from the SJSU Bursar’s Office for help with finding your payment due date in your MySJSU account
- Accepted methods of payment: The SJSU Bursar’s Office accepts several forms of online and in-person payment methods.
- How to pay online: Use this guide from the SJSU Bursar’s Office for help with making an online payment.
- Electronic refunds and direct deposit: Register for direct deposit so that you can receive any refunds up to 7 days faster than a paper check.
- Installment Payment Plan: Complete this form to request to have an Installment Payment Plan (IPP) to pay your fees for the term.
If you withdraw from one or more courses after the deadline to add or drop courses, you will be refunded a pro-rated amount based on the day that you drop.
- 1 day after the deadline: 75% of fees will be refunded.
- 2 days after deadline: 50% of fees will be refunded.
- 3 days after deadline: 25% of fees will be refunded.
- 4 or more days after deadline: 0% of fees will be refunded.
If you have questions related to payments and refunds, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Installment Payment Plan (IPP): Complete this form to request to have an Installment Payment Plan (IPP) to pay your fees for the term.
- Late Enrollment SJSU Online Petition: You must clear all registration holds from your student center before submitting this DocuSign form.
- Late Course Drop / Withdrawal Petition: Late and retroactive withdrawal requests can be submitted due to serious and compelling extenuating circumstances. Read our Late Course Drop / Withdrawal Instructions before submitting a request.
- Financial Petition Form: If you dropped classes past the refund deadline and have extenuating circumstances to apply for refund, complete this form and email it to email@example.com.
- Graduation Application: You must apply to graduate about one year ahead of time.
- SJSU Online Discord server: Connect and chat with SJSU Online students, ambassadors, and staff via mobile or desktop app.
- SJSU Online YouTube channel: Watch our SJSU Online faculty, students, and staff highlight insights, opportunities, and benefits of our degree-completion programs.
- SJSU Online Zoom virtual backgrounds: Show your pride when you're using Zoom by using one of our several styles and color combinations.
- Accessible Education Center (AEC): Utilize comprehensive services that support the educational development and success of students with disabilities.
- Career Center: Schedule virtual appointments, participate in virtual workshops, and attend virtual employer events and information sessions.
- Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS): Get support with stress, anxiety, relationship challenges, and more.
- eCampus: Access the Adobe Creative Cloud, software training, and more.
- Financial Aid and Scholarship Office (FASO): Access information about grants, loans, scholarships, and work-study programs.
- Information Technology: Get IT support, Google Suite and MySJSU training, and more.
- Learn Anywhere: Learn about Eduroam wifi, Canvas, Zoom, LinkedIn Learning, and more.
- one.sjsu.edu: Get secure, online access and support to various SJSU applications and services.
- MLK Jr. Library: Search for articles, subject librarians, and more.
- Peer Connections: Access peer mentorship, virtual workshops, and more
- SJSU Cares: Request housing assistance, food assistance, or emergency financial assistance.
- Writing Center: Access virtual writing workshops, schedule tutoring appointments, and more.