Our Student Success team is here to make sure that you receive quality academic advising, utilize helpful academic resources, and stay on track to complete your degree.
On this page:
- Orientation and Academic Advising
- Important Dates and Deadlines
- Helpful Forms
- SJSU Online Resources
- SJSU Resources
Orientation and Academic Advising
It's our priority for you to have a successful start to your SJSU Online experience.
Before you begin your classes, we will give you access to our self-paced SJSU Online New Student Success online onboarding course and invite you to attend a live, online orientation so you can understand the course registration process, learn how to utilize campus resources, and chat with academic advisors, faculty, and students.
Additionally, our Student Success Advising Team will meet with you individually throughout your program to discuss your academic goals, create a personalized success plan, and stay on track to complete your degree.
Meet the Student Success Advising Team
Sarah Gordon, Director
Sarah has over 15 years of experience in higher education, including 11 years in the California State University system and most recently as the Director of the SJSU College of Engineering Student Success Center. She is passionate about providing access to quality education and supporting students of all majors as they work towards completing their degrees. Sarah received her BA in Psychology from Lee University and MS in Counseling from Azusa Pacific University.
Jamie Carranza, Advisor
Jamie has over six years of experience working in higher education. Her professional experiences have centered on student retention and success along with outreach and recruitment. Her previous roles include Student Success Coach with the University of California, San Diego, Student Services Program Specialist at Mt. San Antonio College, and most recently Outreach and Recruitment Specialist for the BSISDA program at San José State University. Jamie earned her Master's in Postsecondary Educational Leadership from San Diego State University and has a Bachelor's in Human Development from the University of California San Diego. Jamie is currently pursuing a Master's of Library and Information Science with San José State University.
Sarah Miers, Advisor
Sarah received her undergraduate degree in Human Development at Sonoma State University and her Master’s in Education / Counseling Student and Personnel at San José State University. Sarah has served students and families for the past 14 years with enrollment, academics, and financial aid in an online university program, UC, nonprofit scholarship program, and high school. For the past 8 years, she has worked closely with first generation low-income students. She is passionate about education being accessible and equitable and enjoys working with students who are transitioning into a new school. As a lifelong learner and parent of children with learning differences, she is following her interests and obtaining a certificate to be an educational therapist.
Ryan Ploch-Branscum, Advisor
Ryan has over five years of experience working in higher education. He completed his BA in Sociology and MA in Education with a Concentration in Counseling and Student Personnel, both from San José State University. Ryan has demonstrated experience in leading student success programs at SJSU serving as a Lead Academic Advisor in the College of Science, Lead Peer Mentor in the College of Social Sciences, and Academic Support Mentor at University Housing Services.
Important Dates and Deadlines
Our academic calendar highlights all of the important dates and deadlines for new and continuing SJSU Online students.
Spring B Term 2023
Summer Term 2023
Fall A Term 2023
Fall B Term 2023
- Installment Payment Plan (IPP): Complete this form to request to have an Installment Payment Plan (IPP) to pay your fees for the term.
- Late Enrollment SJSU Online Petition: You must clear all registration holds from your student center before submitting this DocuSign form.
- Late Course Drop / Withdrawal Petition: Late and retroactive withdrawal requests can be submitted due to serious and compelling extenuating circumstances. Read our Late Course Drop / Withdrawal Instructions before submitting a request.
- Financial Petition Form: If you dropped classes past the refund deadline and have extenuating circumstances to apply for refund, complete this form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Graduation Application: You must apply to graduate about one year ahead of time.
SJSU Online Resources
- Student Experience webpage: Participate in SJSU Spartan life activities and accessing helpful campus resources.
- SJSU Online Discord server: Connect and chat with SJSU Online students, ambassadors, and staff via mobile or desktop app.
- SJSU Online YouTube channel: Watch our SJSU Online faculty, students, and staff highlight insights, opportunities, and benefits of our degree completion programs.
- SJSU Online Zoom virtual backgrounds: Show your pride when you're using Zoom by using one of our several styles and color combinations.
- Career Center: Schedule virtual appointments, participate in virtual workshops, and attend virtual employer events and information sessions.
- Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS): Get support with stress, anxiety, relationship challenges, and more.
- eCampus: Access the Adobe Creative Cloud, software training, and more.
- Financial Aid and Scholarship Office (FASO): Access information about grants, loans, scholarships, and work-study programs.
- Information Technology: Get IT support, Google Suite and MySJSU training, and more.
- Learn Anywhere: Learn about Eduroam wifi, Canvas, Zoom, LinkedIn Learning, and more.
- one.sjsu.edu: Get secure, online access and support to various SJSU applications and services.
- MLK Jr. Library: Search for articles, subject librarians, and more.
- Peer Connections: Access peer mentorship, virtual workshops, and more
- SJSU Cares: Request housing assistance, food assistance, or emergency financial assistance.
- Writing Center: Access virtual writing workshops, schedule tutoring appointments, and more.