2021-22 Faculty RSCA Assigned Time Applications and Reporting Requirements
From: Dr. Mohamed Abousalem, Vice President for Research and Innovation
The University Faculty RSCA Assigned Time (AT) Program has been a fruitful investment and an effective mechanism to support the RSCA efforts of our faculty members. Please note this year's timeline, process, and requirements for the new applications and productivity reports.
(Awards starting in AY 2021-22)
- March 26, 2021 - New Applications are due from all faculty applicants to their College Office via electronic submission
- April 26, 2021 - Deans’ recommendations submitted to the Office of Research
- May 21, 2021 - Award notifications from the Vice President for Research and Innovation (VPRI) to successful applicants
- May 28, 2021 - Award acceptance signed by successful faculty via DocuSign
There are three categories of faculty who are eligible to apply for the RSCA AT Program:
- Category A - Probationary faculty members who are applying to receive this award for the first time in 2021-22 because of the expiration of their contractually awarded RSCA AT in Spring or Fall 2021.
- Category B - Probationary faculty members who are up for tenure and expect to receive positive tenure decisions in August 2021.
- Category C - Currently tenured faculty members.
All applicants from the three categories must submit all the following material by 5 PM on March 26, 2021 to their College Office (see “Submission Details” section below for the respective college contact information).
- Cover Sheet – including name, rank, department, college, and date of appointment to the University
- Scholarly Agenda – describing your RSCA goals, activities, and expected outcomes/products for the coming 5-year period
- ORCID iD* (with permission granted for institutional access)
- Current Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- RSCA Metric Data – An email message from your college will follow to provide college-specific guidance on how to submit RSCA Metric Data
SELECTION OF AWARDEES
The Dean will recommend to the VPRI which eligible faculty members are to receive
assigned time through the RSCA AT program for AY 2021-22. The Dean determines the
process for the selection within their college and may consider specific components
of the application or the entire packet holistically. The guidance from the VPRI is
that the recommendation be made with substantial consideration of the faculty member’s
prior RSCA productivity. To assure transparency, the Dean’s office will publish, such
as on the college web page, the methodology and the selection criteria. The Dean’s
recommendation list must be submitted to the Office of Research in the Division of
Research and Innovation and the Office of the Provost, along with all candidates’
complete application packets, by April 26, 2021.
The decision of which eligible faculty will receive assigned time through the RSCA AT program will be made by the VPRI in consultation with the Provost, weighing the Dean’s recommendations. The VPRI and Provost may, at their discretion, review the Dean’s recommendations and process to assure that the selected faculty members’ RSCA productivity meets university-wide standards. Faculty receiving RSCA AT awards will be notified by email by May 21, 2021 and will be required to DocuSign their acceptance of the RSCA AT award by May 28, 2021.
ANNUAL & 3-YEAR RSCA PRODUCTIVITY REPORTS
Faculty who had tenure when they started their RSCA AT program in AY 2018/19 (Cycle 1) must submit a formal three-year report this year. All other probationary and tenured faculty currently participating in the RSCA AT program must submit an annual.
- March 26, 2021 - Annual and Three-Year Reports due to the College Office.
- April 26, 2021 - Dean’s feedback on Three-Year Reports due to the Office of Research.
- May 21, 2021 - Three-Year review letters from the VPRI and College Dean sent to faculty
- May 28, 2021 - Acknowledgement of the three-Year review letters due from faculty via DocuSign
ANNUAL RSCA PRODUCTIVITY REPORTS
Except for those who are submitting a formal three-year report, all probationary and tenured faculty participating in the RSCA AT program are required to submit their Annual RSCA Productivity Reports in their college-specific RSCA Metric Data format by 5 PM on March 26, 2021. An email message from your college will follow to provide college-specific guidance on how to submit RSCA Metric Data. No formal feedback will be provided on Annual Reports.
THREE-YEAR RSCA PRODUCTIVITY REPORTS
Faculty who had tenure when they started their RSCA AT program in AY 2018/19 (Cycle 1) must submit a formal three-year report by 5 PM on March 26, 2021 consisting of all the items listed below. Your college will provide additional information about these components and writing prompts.
- Statement of Achievements: Narrative describing RSCA progress covering the three-year period
- RSCA Productivity Report: RSCA Metric Data covering the three-year period in college-specific format.
- Current Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Scholarly Agenda – Ongoing/planned RSCA Agenda for the remainder of the program. Attach original RSCA Agenda for reference and explain the Agenda change(s) for the remainder of the AT period, if any. Articulate how the ongoing agenda will result in products that are measurable by the college-specific RSCA metrics.
- ORCID iD* with permission granted for institutional access.
The Dean’s feedback on the three-year reports will be submitted to the Office of Research in the Division of Research and Innovation by April 26, 2021. All reports, along with the Deans’ feedback, will be reviewed by the VPRI. Faculty will be notified of the VPRI’s and Dean’s review at the same time by email by May 21, 2021 and will be asked to DocuSign an acknowledgement of the review by May 28, 2021.
Completed applications and reports (with the exception of RSCA Metric Data) should
be compiled into one PDF file and must be submitted electronically to your college
office (see email address below). RSCA Metric Data should be submitted in your college-specific
format following your college guidance.
Please use the keywords “RSCA Assigned Time Application”, “RSCA Assigned Time Annual Report”, or “RSCA Assigned Time Three-Year Report” in the subject line of the email.
|College||College Office Email Address|
|Health & Human Sciences|
|Humanities & the Arts|
|Professional & Global Education|
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or your College Associate Dean for Research (or equivalent position) for any questions
or further clarification.
I wish you all the best and I look forward to learning about your RSCA journey.
Dr. Mohamed Abousalem
Vice President for Research and Innovation
* For information on how to obtain an ORCID iD and set permissions, see
orcid.org. If you need assistance, please contact Librarian Yen Tran at