SJSU’s RSCA Adapt Plan Update: Phase 4
From: Dr. Mohamed Abousalem, Vice President for Research and Innovation
As the Division of Research and Innovation continues to allow on-site and field research and creative activities to take place safely within state and county guidelines, university policy, and all applicable regulations, I am pleased to announce the transition to Phase 4 of SJSU’s RSCA Adapt Plan [pdf] beginning July 1, 2021. Phase 4 [pdf] protocol will apply to all on-campus and field RSCA with the main implementation provisions listed below. Please visit the Office of Research RSCA Adapt Plan webpage for all the details and the necessary forms.
RSCA Adapt Plan Phase 4 Implementation Highlights:
- Physical distancing is no longer required in RSCA spaces or field research - RSCA spaces, vehicles, and boats may operate at 100% capacity (safety-mandated capacity limitations apply)
- On-campus participation of RSCA volunteers and human research subjects is no longer restricted. All standard university policies and procedures regarding participation and campus access for non-SJSU-affiliates apply.
- Unvaccinated RSCA project personnel must wear a face mask at all times. Fully vaccinated individuals are not required to wear masks.
- Field research conducted at partner institutions may be subject to different physical distancing and face mask mandates, as determined by the host institution.
- Sanitization protocols continue to be required.
VPRI-Dean-EH&S approval of new or revised RSCA Project Plans is no longer required under Phase 4. RSCA leaders are no longer required to submit RSCA Project Plans or EH&S Checklists for approval. However, all RSCA Leaders must:
(1) maintain at all times current project personnel lists (including volunteers and
human research subjects), and work schedules for all on-campus and field RSCA,
(2) schedule/update their project personnel name list and work schedule with their College through their respective college-defined process,
(3) keep on file at all times current Project Personnel Acknowledgement [pdf] Forms from all project personnel and Volunteer / Human Subjects Acknowledgement [pdf] Forms from all on-campus project volunteers and human research subjects for all on-campus and field RSCA, and
(4) prior to starting or modifying the work for RSCA Project Plans involving:
- human research subjects, obtain approval from the Institutional Review Board (IRB),
- animal research subjects, obtain approval from the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC), and
- lab work, submit Biological Use Authorization (BUA documents) and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in accordance with the guidance and deadlines set forth by the Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC), if applicable.
Travel: VPRI approval of RSCA travel is no longer required. Follow standard SJSU and/or SJSU Research Foundation travel authorization process.
In Phase 4, all active RSCA projects are subject to immediate shutdown and reverting to Phase 1 or moving to an intermediate phase with masks and reduced density at any point.
Thank you for your continued hard work and for keeping yourself and your RSCA teams safe.
Vice President for Research and Innovation