Become a Transformative Educator!
In the SJSU Department of Special Education we prepare candidates to be transformative leaders in the field, and lifelong learners who respond to racism, ableism, bigotry, and prejudice in their schools and communities. To this end, we center anti-racist and anti-ableist policies and practices in our teaching, research, and service to disrupt systemic racism that has historically prevented full inclusion and equity for students with disabilities including our BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, People of Color) students, staff, and faculty. We engage culturally sustaining pedagogies and the principles of UDL in our coursework and fieldwork, partnering with our local districts to push for the success of students with disabilities in inclusive settings.
Special Education Announcements
- NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FALL 2023
- Fall Application deadline is July 1, 2023!
- Fee waivers are available! Email : email@example.com
- Receive $200 Scholarship if you apply by July 1, are admitted for fall, and enroll in fall coursework!
- SUMMER 2023 Courses :
- EDSE 102, Class # 30219, online asynchronous;
- EDSE 279, Class # 31288, online, synchronous, asynchronous;
- EDSE 224, Class # 30214, hybrid: online and in person
- EDEL 108D, for class # please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Become part of our fully-funded Teacher Residency Program and complete the credential and MA in one year! Teacher Residents receive over $18,000 in funding!
The Golden State Teacher Grant is now open and accepting applications from candidates in special education credential programs.This is a state grant that provides up to $20,000 for eligible candidates.
- Now apply for Lurie College scholarships via the Spartan Scholarship Application portal. The deadline is May 1. To learn more, please visit the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office
Spartan Scholarship opportunities 2023- 2024
- To learn more about our academic opportunities, attend one of our upcoming online
information sessions held via zoom from 4:00-5:00 pm on the following dates:
- Friday, January 27, 2023
- Friday, February 17, 2023
- Friday, March 10, 2023
- Friday, April 14, 2023
- Friday, May 5, 2023
- Friday, May 19, 2023
- Friday, June 2, 2023
Once registered at any of the above dates, a zoom link will be sent.
Register to attend an upcoming information session
SPED STUDENT INFO
- EDEL 108D (Math Methods) is offered through the Department of Teacher Education. Spaces are automatically held for SPED students. Request class information for the fall, spring, or summer session by emailing us at email@example.com.
- Supervision Seminar dates for Spring 2023
- EDSE 234 and EDSE 105 Mondays at 4:00 PM
- On campus: Jan 30, Mar 6, Apr 3, May 1
- Online: Feb 13, Mar 13, Apr 24, May 8
- EDSE 217A and EDSE 154 Thursdays at 7:00 PM
- On Campus: Jan 26, Feb 2, Mar 9, Apr 6, May 4
- Online: Feb 16, Mar 16, Apr 27, May 11
- EDSE 234 and EDSE 105 Mondays at 4:00 PM
Lurie College and SJSU Announcements
- 2022 U.S. News and World Report Rankings - Lurie College moved up 33 spots in this year's rankings of Best Education Schools and is #2 among universities in the Cal State system, #4 among universities in the Bay Area, and #14 among universities in California.
- Financial Aid Opportunities - Visit this page to learn about the numerous scholarship and grant opportunities available through the college. The application process for scholarships takes place each spring semester.
- SJSU Lurie College of Education Blog - Our college-wide blog contains more announcements, opportunities, and news for and about Special Education students, faculty, staff, and alumni.
Student and Faculty Spotlights
Learn More about SJSU Department of Special Education Alumni and Lecturer Natalie Cabral on the SJSU Lurie College Blog
Read the Special Education Department Chair's commentary on the state of inclusion in California that was recently published in EdSource
Stop isolating students with disabilities
Current student Samuel Bland and recent alumni Monica Gonzalez facilitated the Q&A portion of our Intersectional Disability Studies Speaker Series, which featured guest speaker Lydia X.Z. Brown and was organized by faculty Dr. Saili Kulkarni and Dr. Sudha Krishnan.
Meet more of our Special Education Department students
Dr. Andy Golloher, as part of the SJSU Early Childhood Institute (ECI), hosted the webinar "Centralizing Our Dual-Language Learners: The Power of the Family-School Partnership in Early Childhood Education" with Ana Marisol Sanchez and Cory Wechsler, Program Coordinators at the Sobrato Early Academic Language (SEAL).