Become a Transformative Educator!
At the SJSU Lurie College of Education Department of Special Education, we prepare professionals to be effective educators, leaders in the field, and lifelong learners. We do this in collaboration with other departments and with our community partners. Our faculty promote equity and excellence in our curricula and infuse nationally endorsed evidence-based practices in their instruction.
Our graduates are advocates for children and leave our program with the knowledge and skills necessary to creatively meet the needs of a variety of student learners. They work as change agents in local schools, ensuring students with diverse learning needs have full access to the general curriculum to achieve their very best.
Special Education Announcements
- Our Spring 2022 application deadline is November 1, 2021. Applicants to our credential programs can also request fee waiver codes while supplies last.
- Student Teaching Application Deadline - October 1, 2021.
- Seminar dates for Fall 2021 from 7:00 pm - 9:45 pm 8/19, 9/23, 10/21, 11/18, 12/9
- Apply to our Teacher Residency Program to complete an accelerated program and receive up to $10,000 in funding; and apply to become a Lurie College Impact Residency Fellow, which provides up to $7500 in scholarship funding, mentorship and networking opportunities, and more.
Golden State Teacher Grant is now open and accepting applications from candidates in special education credential programs.This is a state grant that provides up to $20,000 for eligible candidates. Please read more about the grant and how to apply at the link below: https://gstg.csac.ca.gov/
- Commencement : https://www.sjsu.edu/commencement/
- To learn more about our academic opportunities, attend one of our upcoming online
- Friday, August 27, 4-5pm
- Friday, September 24, 4-5pm
- Friday, October 22, 4-5pm
- EDEL 108D (Math Methods) and EDEL 294 (Health) in Special Education is offered through the Department of Teacher Education. Spaces are automatically held for SPED students. Request class information for the fall, spring, or summer session by emailing us at email@example.com.
Lurie College and SJSU Announcements
- 2022 U.S. News and World Report Rankings - Lurie College moved up 33 spots in this year's rankings of Best Education Schools and is #2 among universities in the Cal State system, #4 among universities in the Bay Area, and #14 among universities in California.
- Financial Aid Opportunities - Visit this page to learn about the numerous scholarship and grant opportunities available through the college. The application process for scholarships takes place each spring semester.
- SJSU Lurie College of Education Blog - Our college-wide blog contains more announcements, opportunities, and news for and about Special Education students, faculty, staff, and alumni.
Student and Faculty Spotlights
Learn from Surisa, Annalisa, Joanna, Chloe, and Maria, who presented their final research projects related to action research and intervention for students with disabilities as part of the Spring 2021 Lurie College Learning Showcase.
Dr. Saili Kulkarni has been awarded a racial equity grant from the Spencer Foundation for her research studying the intersections of disability and race and the implications for PK-12 education, justice studies and educators. Read the feature story on the SJSU Division of Research and Innovation website.