Long-Term FAQs

Can I apply to more than one study abroad program?
Yes, you may apply to more than one type of program, for example, one SJSU Exchange program and one CSU IP program, but you cannot apply to multiple locations within one type of program (e.g., you cannot apply to two different SJSU Exchange programs). However, when you apply for a study abroad program, you can list alternative options in case you are not accepted to your first choice (e.g., if you are applying to a SJSU Exchange, you may list a second or third choice for a SJSU Exchange in case you are not accepted to your first choice).


Can I study abroad more than once?
Definitely, as long as your degree permits it and you are able to complete your requirements in time for graduation.


What are my housing options abroad?

For SJSU Exchanges and CSU IP programs, you have the freedom to choose your own type of housing: apartment, dormitory, etc. based on the options available at your location. For ISEP programs, housing is usually on-campus and included in the program fee. Housing is guaranteed for most programs!


Where can I find out more information about studying abroad?
Attend one of the weekly study abroad information sessions! The schedule for these sessions is located here.


Who can I speak to if I have specific study abroad questions?
For answers to specific questions, make an appointment with a Study Abroad Coordinator.


Is there financial aid or scholarships for study abroad?
Yes! Both financial aid and scholarships are available for students studying abroad. There are even scholarships specifically for study abroad students! See the Finances page for more information.


 Can graduate students study abroad?
Yes, but the course offerings abroad may not include graduate level courses. Be sure to check this first and consult with your academic advisor about your plans to study abroad. We do have one program specific for graduate students in Occupational Therapy at JAMK in Finland!


Can F-1 International students study abroad?
Yes! If you are an international student at SJSU and want to study abroad, be sure to speak with an ISSS Advisor before applying. 


Can I study abroad the semester I plan to graduate?
Yes, seniors are eligible to study abroad in the final semester of their degree as long as they can meet all their graduation requirements through course offerings at the host university. Seniors should plan ahead and work closely with their academic advisors to select the appropriate program and coursework.

Graduating seniors should prepare graduation applications prior to departure for their study abroad program and meet with a graduation evaluator. Students should be aware that it generally takes 1–3 months for host institutions to send the participants’ transcripts to the SJSU Study Abroad and Away department. Some programs can take longer which will cause delays in completing graduation applications. If this is the case, graduating seniors may consider walking in the graduation ceremony even though they will not receive their actual diploma until the following semester because of the delay in transferring grades from abroad.


I want to study abroad for an academic year, but in different locations each semester. Can I do this? 
Yes, you will have to complete two different applications and be accepted into both programs. Many Spartans have done this in the past. 


Can I take an online class at SJSU while I am abroad?
Yes, you can. However, you need to make sure you are enrolled in at least 12 SJSU units at the host university in addition to the online SJSU course.


What international insurance coverage should I use if I plan to travel on my own at the conclusion of my study abroad program?

There are many insurance policies out there that you may find through a google search or can compare on a site like www.insuremytrip.com. One example is through CISI, which offers a continuation of coverage policy for students who are traveling before or after a study abroad program.

How and when will my transcript from my host university abroad be sent to SJSU for processing?  
At the conclusion of your study abroad semester, please make sure you check with the study abroad or exchange program office at your host university to find out if you need to complete any transcript request or if they will send your transcript automatically to the SJSU Registrar's Office for processing. The SJSU Registrar's Office prefers that official electronic transcripts must be sent to the encrypted email address (etranscript@sjsu.edu) from the host university's Registrar's Office or from the Study Abroad or Exchange Office. It cannot be sent via email from a student.

We recommend students also request an official paper transcript to be sent directly to:

Study Abroad Office
College of Professional & Global Education
San Jose State University
One Washington Square
San Jose, CA 95192


Transcripts are processed as soon as they arrive at SJSU using the Academic Approval Form (AAF) that you would have completed before or during your study abroad program.