An internship is a form of experiential learning that integrates knowledge and theory learned in the classroom with practical application and skills development in a professional setting. Internships give students the opportunity to gain valuable applied experience and make connections in professional fields they are considering for career paths; and give employers the opportunity to guide and evaluate talent.
Interns may be paid, unpaid, or a combination of the two and are typically appointed for no more than one year. They may not perform bargaining unit work. A non-student may not be an intern.
Steps to Appoint an Intern
- Complete the Intern Position Description [docx]
- Collect the intern’s CV, Resume or Work History
- Tell intern what they will be required to attach to the intern form:
- Work Permit if under 18 years of age
- Minors Parent Consent form [pdf] if under 18 years of age
- Complete the Intern Request Form [DocuSign]
- If request is for paid (or partially paid) intern, signed form will be sent to Recruitment and Retention for final approval and processing; no additional work will be done by the department
- If request is for unpaid intern, signed form will be sent to the Volunteer Appointments team for final approval; department will enter the Person of Interest (POI) data
- When final approval to appoint unpaid intern is received, enter the appropriate person
and POI information in PeopleSoft (SJSU @ Work); see the Enter and Maintain POI Information [pdf] for step-by-step instructions
- Use the POI Type of Other for all unpaid interns
- Enter or review the Emergency Contact information for the POI; see the Enter and Maintain Emergency Contact Information [pdf] for step-by-step instructions