Frequently Asked Questions

For covid-19 vaccination requirements, please visit the Health Advisories and Student Health Center websites. 

What is Winter Session?

Winter Session is a compacted session between the Fall and Spring semesters, offering degree credit courses and some short courses. Enrollment is not limited to full-time and part-time SJSU students. Any adult member of the community is eligible to enroll.

Who may attend?

Classes are open to college and university students, high school graduates and other adults from the community. You do not have to be accepted to San José State University to attend this session.

How to register?

Visit the Registration section, for more information on how to register.

How to drop a course?

Visit the How to Drop section, for more information.

BaHow to pay?

Visit the Payment section, for more information about how to pday.

How many units can I take?

Students are allowed to take up to 4 units for Winter Session. To request for more than 4 units, students must file a petition for excess units form before the registration deadline, December 16. 


What is an SJSU ID number?

An SJSU ID number is assigned to all students. Use it to access registration and grades as well as other functions and on forms as identified. If you have forgotten your log in or password, click on MySJSU Help on or email

Does enrollment in Winter Session affect admissions to the University?

Enrollment in this session does not assure admission to San José State University. If you plan to work toward a degree or credential at San José State University, or wish to continue in attendance either full-time or part-time during the spring, summer or fall semesters, you must apply for admission. If you are interested in formal admission, contact the Admissions Office at 408.283.7500 or email

How do I re-enroll if I've been dropped from my class for non-payment?

  1. Find your class in the course schedule to obtain your instructor’s email address; it’s linked to the instructor’s name.
  2. Email your instructor to request an add code.
  3. Register via MySJSU or via the registration form on the first day of class to get enrolled.
  4. Pay your fees before payment due date.  

How do I register to retake a class during Winter Session?

Starting October 25 you will need to email the Office of the Registrar at for enrollment. Include your name, ID#, 5-digit class number, subject, course number, and section number in the email. Beginning on the first day of winter instruction (January 3, 2023), you must also include a permission number.

If you are repeating a class more than twice, starting December 2, submit the Repeat a course more than 2 times petition. Be sure to follow all instructions.

How do I register for Winter Session if I'm an incoming Freshman for the Spring?

You will need to register using the the online Docusign Registration Form and will be registering as an Open University student for the Winter Session.

See student Tutorials for how to view student center, make pay ment, enroll or drop a class, etc. in your MySJSU account.


How do I view enrollment appointments in MySJSU?

See the Tutorials for Students on MySJSU for instruction.


Who is considered an Open University student?

Students who are not currently attending SJSU are considered Open University students and can take SJSU classes through Open University.

For more Open University questions, check our Open University FAQs


How do first time Open University students create an account and enroll?

First time Open University students will need to create their MySJSU account via Quick Admit. This account will give a student access to register for classes, pay for courses and see their own records. If a student has an existing account but cannot remember the password, please contact Provide at least two of the following items for verification

  • SJSU student ID
  • Date of birth
  • Mailing address

Quick Admit will be available to students starting the first day of registration for Open University students on Wednesday, October 26. For more Open University questions, check our Open University FAQs


Can I register online if I want to take a graduate level/200-level course?

No, you will need to complete the online DocuSign registration form and submit it to the Graduate Admission and Program Evaluation (GAPE) office for approval.


If there is no professor listed in the Open University class I want, how do I request permission to enroll? 

If a professor is not listed, students can send the class request to the department for approval. 


If the professor for my Open University class does not respond back for my class request, how may I follow up?

If you are unable to contact the professor of the Open University class you want to take, you can send the class request to the department for approval. 


How long will a course take to appear in my Open University student account once enrolled?

Course access may take up to 48 hours after enrollment is finalized. We recommend students to email their professor for course materials in the meantime.


I am having trouble entering my Open University student account and IT directed me to CPGE. 

If you don’t remember your SJSUOne Account ID number, you can look up your ID number here. If you have an SJSUOne Account ID but don’t remember your password, follow these instructions. If you are unable to access your account after following these steps, you can submit an online Docusign Registration Form