Faculty Writing Workshop: One Day
Faculty Writing Workshop: One-Day Grab-and-Go Writing Activities
Following four successful rounds of the two-day faculty writing workshop, Dr. Linda C. Mitchell, Professor in the Department of English, and Michelle Hager, Director of the SJSU Writing Center and Lecturer in the Department of English, developed a one day writing workshop designed to give professors a collection of 20-minute grab-and-go activities for the classroom.
The workshop will be a one-day event. During the morning session, facilitators will model grab-and-go activities, and participants will work on refining their activities. During the afternoon session, participants will present their activities to the entire group and receive feedback.
Attending either the one-day or the two-day workshop will allow SJSU faculty to apply for a course release through the AANAPISI Grant.
The first round of the workshop was held November 15, 2013. The second round of the workshop was June 11, 2014.
The workshops have concluded, but the lesson plans created during the five years of the grant are still available for use.
Here you will find all of the activities created and refined during the one-day workshops. These activities are created by members of the SJSU faculty from several disciplines.
View or Download an Activity
- Evaluating Your Information with CRAAP by Roxanne Cnudde [pdf]
- The Power of the Pastiche by Neli Moody [pdf]
- Decoding Writing Prompts by LeAnne Teruya [pdf]
- Writing More Descriptive, Specific Sentences by Maria A.N. Judnick [pdf]
- Hacking the Quiz: A Fact-Finding and Writing Reflection Activity in Lieu of a Traditional Quiz by Tabitha Hart [pdf]
- Throwing Snowballs Activity by Magdalena Barrera [pdf]
- Pruning Your Prose: Achieving Conciseness by Julie Sparks [pdf]
- Creating an Image by Dalia Sirkin [pdf]
- APA Citations by Roxanne Cnudde [pdf]
- The Importance of Description in Writing by Areeba Abid [pdf]
- Writing with a Purpose: Inspiring Creativity and Teamwork by Alesya Petty [pdf]