In addition to tutoring, there are many ways your students may benefit from the COMM Center:
- I'd like to offer credit or extra credit for my students to meet with a tutor, how
will I know if they've done so?
- With our online appointment system you will receive a post-session email (just let your students know to provide your email!). We invite you to create an account to peruse the site yourself.
- I'd like to add information about the COMM Center to my syllabus, can you provide
- Yes, copy the following: The COMM Center offers free, nonjudgemental, supportive public speaking and writing peer tutoring to all SJSU students. Our peer tutors (Speech Coaches and Graduate Writing Consultants) are trained to build on your strengths, and turn your challenges into opportunities for growth. Speech Coaches and Writing Consultants are available for appointments via Zoom Mondays and Thursdays 12pm - 6pm and in-person Tuesdays and Wednesdays 10:30a - 4:30p (in Hugh Gillis Hall room 229) February 6 - May 11. To book a 30-minute appointment go to our appointment system. More information about the COMM Center can be found through our COMM Center website or on Canvas.
- I'd like to add a COMM Center tab to Canvas.
- Great! We have a :45 seond how-to video.
- Will someone from the COMM Center visit my class?
- Yes! Thanks for inviting us into your class. Please complete this Request for a COMM Center Visit form.
- How can non-COMM students benefit from use of the Center?
- All students can benefit! We can all use another set of eyes and ears with our speaking skills and someone to supporting our writing process. Any enrolled student may book an appointment with a tutor or enroll in COMM 80.
- How can non-COMM instructors benefit from the Center?
- In addition to providing confirmations of tutoring visits with Speech Coaches and Writing Consultants, those students who enroll in COMM 80 develop a current speech or presentation from any class.
- What sort of support system do those enrolled in COMM 80 have access to?
- Each student enrolled in COMM 80 is assigned to a COMM Center tutor and will receive personalized support and feedback, the benefits of which can extend to presentation and writing-based coursework.
- I'm a COMM faculty and need a space for an event, meeting, student activity, etc.
- Great! Navitgate to our online appointment system , create an account, and select "Room reservations." You can book a room and find the instructions there.