Prospective Master of Science in Engineering (MSE) Students
MSE program is an interdisciplinary program that provides a platform for those students who are interested in learning subjects that cross boundaries between traditional engineering disciplines. Students who are interested in obtaining a MS degree in a specific engineering discipline (such as MS in Computer Engineering or MS in Civil Engineering) should visit the program's website for information.
Requirements for Admission to MSE with Classified Standing
Students seeking admission to MS Engineering programs must meet the general university requirements for admission as outlined in this page: General Admission information. Applicants who meet the following requirements beyond university requirements will be considered for admission into the MSE program.
- A student who possesses a BS degree in an engineering field from an accredited institution with a grade point average of 2.75 or better in the last 60 units of the student’s undergraduate studies.
- A student whose native language is not English and whose preparatory education was principally in a language other than English must obtain a score of 21 or higher in the writing section of the TOFEL iBT test (or 7 for IELTS test).
Requirements for Admission to MSE with Conditionally Classified Standing
Applicants who meet the following requirements beyond university requirements will be considered for admission to conditionally classified standing in the MSE program.
- A student who possesses a BS degree in a STEM field.
- A student who does not meet the TOFEL or IELTS writing requirement as stated above but otherwise is eligible for admission to MSE with classified standing..
- A student who possesses a non-STEM baccalaureate degree with a grade point average of 2.75 or better in the last 60 units of the student’s undergraduate studies and has earned a GPA above 3.0 from four college-level courses, one in each of the following four areas: physics, calculus, statistics, and computer programing.
Students with conditionally classified standing will take one or more prerequisite courses based on their evaluation by the MSE Graduate Advisor.
MSE Application Deadline
Information Regarding Graduate studies at SJSU
Following web sites contain important information regarding graduate studies at SJSU.
- Information for newly admitted graduate students
- Admitted international students
- SJSU College of Graduate Studies
- Financial matters
FAQ from prospective MSE students