Peer Health Education
What is Peer Health Education?
The Peer Health Education program is run by Wellness & Health Promotion within the Student Health Center. The goal of the Peer Health Education program is to support the well-being of SJSU students. We aim to increase students' awareness and promote responsible decision-making regarding health and wellness. A primary objective is to recruit, train, and organize students to conduct health outreach.
Peer Health Educators (PHEs) are students who are specially trained to help their peers learn about health topics through presentations, interactive events, and digital media. PHEs primarily offer education and outreach programs specific to health topics that greatly impact college students.
Current health topics include:
- Alcohol, Marijuana, and Other Drugs
- Healthy Sexuality
- Stress Reduction and Self-Care
PHE Workshops & Programs
Workshops are designed to last 45-60 minutes. Workshop participants are encouraged to login from a location where they are comfortable using audio and chat functions as needed.
Peer Health Education workshops are facilitated by trained student volunteers. To help us better meet your needs, please request workshops with as much notice as possible (at least 2 weeks prior to the proposed workshop date). To learn more about what workshops are available or to submit a workshop request, please submit the Workshop Request Form.
We welcome the skills, creativity, and curiosity of SJSU students from a variety of majors. Additional requirements and program information is included on the job description.
Benefits of becoming a PHE:
- Develop skills in leadership, communication, teamwork, and program coordination
- Increase knowledge of health & wellness topics through specialized training
- Become a Certified Peer Educator by completing NASPA’s nationally recognized training program
- Collaborate with various student organizations and campus departments
- Access mentoring and opportunities for personal/career development
- Potential to earn units through independent study
- Meet new people and have fun!
We're hiring new Peer Health Education Student Assistants! View the job description and application on the @SJSUWellness Linktree.