Declaring a Major

In accordance with guidelines for Presidential Directive PD 2009-05

  • Students should be in a degree granting major by the time they have earned 60 units.
  • All declared students who want to change majors or add minors should do so before earning 90 units.
  • If you are a Transfer student wanting to switch majors, please contact the major department for impaction information.
  • You must apply to change your major by submitting a Change of Major  petition
  • All majors require IMPACTION CRITERIA (courses, GPA, grades, tests, etc).

Student Success Centers

In an effort to aid students in their pathway to declaring a major, we have listed all current Student Success Centers and their respective information regarding declaring a prospective major within a specific college.

College of Health and Human Sciences (CHHS)

CHHS Change of Major

Lucas College and Graduate School of Business

Jack Holland Student Success Center (JHSSC) 

Business Change of Major

Connie L. Lurie College of Education

Student Success Center 

Lurie Change of Major

Charles W. Davidson College of Engineering 

Engineering Student Success Center (ESSC)

Engineering Change of Major

College of Humanities and the Arts

Humanities and Arts Student Success Center (HASSC)

HASSC Change of Major 

College of Professional and Global Education

CPGE Student Success Center

College of Science

College of Science Advising Center (CoS-SSC)

College of Science Change of Major

College of Social Sciences

Academic Counseling Center for Excellence in the Social Sciences (ACCESS)

CoSS Major Advising

Applying to declare a new major 

Changing from Undeclared to a degree-granting major 

As an Undeclared student, there are important steps you must take in order to successfully apply and declare into a degree granting major at San José State University.

  • Students must meet with the proposed major's Success Center advisor or with a major advisor. (See Change of Major page for each Success Center)
  • Obtain information regarding the desired major's change of major criteria.
  • Provide your Undeclared advisor with the following documented information: 

Study plan or written documentation signed by the success center advisor or major advisor  with recommended/required classes, required minimum GPA and/or grades along with change of major application deadlines within the major department (if applicable).   

Students currently declared in a degree granting major are expected to work toward a degree in that major. If you wish to change to a new major, please follow the steps below:

  • Check out the impaction criteria for the desired major by visiting the Change of Major page for the College Success Center for that major.
  • Meet with an advisor in the student success center or major department. They will provide impaction criteria (classes and gpa) and any application deadlines.

How to change your current major to Undeclared 

Only Frosh are accepted into the Univeristy as Undeclared. If you are currently declared in a major at San José State University and are interested in changing your major, you must work with your current student success center on an academic plan to meet eligibilty and be accepted into the new major.

* If student is on academic probation, Change of Major may be held until grades for the current semester have posted.

Change of Major to Undeclared Pre-Nursing