Declaring a Major
In accordance with guidelines for Presidential Directive PD 2009-05
- Students should be in a degree granting major by the time they have earned 60 units.
- All declared students who want to change majors or add minors should do so before earning 90 units.
- If you are a Transfer student wanting to switch majors, please contact the major department for impaction information.
- You must apply to change your major by submitting a Change of Major [pdf] petition
- All majors require IMPACTION CRITERIA (courses, GPA, grades, tests, etc).
Student Success Centers
In an effort to aid students in their pathway to declaring a major, we have listed all current Student Success Centers and their respective information regarding declaring a prospective major within a specific college.
College of Health and Human Sciences (CHHS)
Lucas College and Graduate School of Business
Jack Holland Student Success Center (JHSSC)
Connie L. Lurie College of Education
Student Success Center
Charles W. Davidson College of Engineering
Engineering Student Success Center (ESSC)
College of Humanities and the Arts
Humanities and Arts Student Success Center (HASSC)
College of Professional and Global Education
College of Science
College of Science Advising Center (CoSAC)
College of Social Sciences
Academic Counseling Center for Excellence in the Social Sciences (ACCESS)
Applying to declare a new major
Changing from Undeclared to a degree-granting major
As an Undeclared student, there are important steps you must take in order to successfully apply and declare into a degree granting major at San José State University.
- Students must meet with the proposed major's Success Center advisor or with a major advisor. (See Change of Major page for each Success Center)
- Obtain information regarding the desired major's change of major criteria.
- Provide your Undeclared advisor with the following documented information:
Study plan or written documentation signed by the success center advisor or major advisor with recommended/required classes, required minimum GPA and/or grades along with change of major application deadlines within the major department (if applicable).
Students currently declared in a degree granting major are expected to work toward a degree in that major. If you wish to change to a new major, please follow the steps below:
- Check out the impaction criteria for the desired major by visiting the Change of Major page for the College Success Center for that major.
- Meet with an advisor in the student success center or major department. They will provide impaction criteria (classes and gpa) and any application deadlines.
How to change your current major to Undeclared
Only Frosh are accepted into the Univeristy as Undeclared. If you are currently declared in a major at San José State University and are interested in changing your major, you must work with your current student success center on an academic plan to meet eligibilty and be accepted into the new major.
* If student is on academic probation, Change of Major may be held until grades for the current semester have posted.