Admission Test Requirements
Prospective students applying for admissions must meet a minimum English skills requirement. English proficiency is an SJSU requirement and is described at http://www.sjsu.edu/graduateadmissions/admission-requirements/test-requirements/index.html.
The following is additional information about English proficiency:
- You can find additional information about English proficiency by viewing Domestic Steps to Admission or International Steps to Admission.
- All documentation and test scores for English proficiency must be sent to Graduate Admissions and not to the department where you are applying.
- Conditional admits are not given if you do not meet the minimum English skills requirement.
- English proficiency test scores must be submitted before the Document Deadline published by Graduate Admissions at http://www.sjsu.edu/graduateadmissions/deadlines/index.html.
If you have questions about English proficiency, please contact Graduate Admissions, and not the graduate advisor for the MS Software Engineering program.
GRE scores are not required for students with an undergraduate degree from an ABET accredited degree program. You can determine if your degree program is accredited at https://amspub.abet.org/aps/name-search?searchType=institution.
GRE scores are required from all other universities. The following minimum scores are required to be considered for admissions into the MS Software Engineering Program:
- Quantitative + Verbal (GRE q+v) score = 294 or higher
- Analytical Writing (GRE AWA) score = 3.0 or higher
Please note the following:
- GRE is an important factor for admission evaluation and continues to be a requirement during the pandemic.
- GRE scores must be from a single test date.
- Applications with GRE q+v scores under 294 will be denied.
- Applications with GRE AWA scores under 3.0 will be denied.
GRE q+v score higher than 294 may be required for successful admission because of the competitive nature of MSSE admissions.
- Applicants that have at least five years of professional software development experience following completion of their undergraduate degree and prior to the opening of admissions for the academic term where the application is being made, can request a GRE test waiver by sending a detailed resume to Dan.Harkey@sjsu.edu. GRE waiver requests are specific to an admission semester and must be submitted after admissions is opened for an a specific semester. In your resume, you must include the graduation date of your undergraduate degree (month/year) and the begin/end dates (month/year) and responsibilities for any positions you have held in the software industry. Any GRE scores submitted will be used for application evaluation even if you are eligible for a waiver.
Reporting Test Scores
GRE and TOEFL test scores should be routed to San Jose State University, code=4687. No department code is required.