Preparing for Tutoring
When preparing for a tutoring session, please be sure to:
- Bring your Student ID
- Be on time for your scheduled appointment.
- Bring relevant course materials, such as lecture notes, assignments, or graded tests.
- Attempt all of your homework problems or assignments before the tutoring session. Make sure you have completed all of the assigned reading.
- Prepare ahead of time to make the most use of your allotted time with the tutor. Make a list of specific questions you want to ask the tutor. Try to be as specific as possible. Indicate homework or test questions that are confusing to you, parts of the lecture notes you struggle with, or general course concepts you want to discuss.
- Share your goals, other concerns, and general academic history with the tutor.
- Be actively engaged during the tutoring session. Put your phone away. Speak up when you do not understand concepts.
- Assume responsibility. Do not come in expecting a tutor to do your work. Tutors are not permitted to edit compositions, do your homework, or assist with take-home examinations.
- Let your instructor know you are going for extra tutoring. Ask them what they think would be beneficial for you to review with a tutor.