Undergraduate Major Application Process

Note: Major is not impacted. No GPA minimum or course criteria to meet before applying.

High School Seniors and Transfers

  1. Go to the CSU online application, Cal State apply. Fill in the application and submit all necessary information. Students must be admitted to San José State according to the requirements of admission.
  2. While filling out the online application, be sure to select "Chicana and Chicano Studies" as your intended major.

Adding/Changing a Major

(SJSU Students) 

  1. Complete the SJSU Change of Major/Minor Form. There are two versions of the form: one for students with fewer than 90 units and one for those with more than 90 units. Include all supporting documents required.
  2. Fill out the CCS Department Major Form [pdf] [pdf]. Indicate which courses you have completed, are in the process of completing, or those you plan to complete in order to satisfy the 40 units. Be sure to include the semester and year you took the class, the final grade and the course units.
  3. Schedule an appointment with the Undergraduate Advisor, Marina Corrales, to set up an appointment for review and signature of the Major Form. 
  4. If you are a graduating senior, check with your advisor to apply online.

If you are unsure of how to complete any part of this process, please schedule an appointment with the Undergraduate Advisor and bring your transcript(s) in order to fill in the appropriate information.