Become an Advocate for Children, Youth, and Families!
At the SJSU Lurie College of Education Department of Child & Adolescent Development (ChAD), our programs and faculty provide students with a well-rounded curriculum that incorporates theory, research, policy, and practice. As a result, our students develop an extensive command of various theories and milestones of human development, an awareness of effects of different child-rearing practices or conditions on the fulfillment of development promise, and much more.
Our students become strong advocates for their communities and transition into several career pathways such as early childhood education, K-12 education, non-profit advocacy, research and policy.
- Crowdfunding Campaing - Our Child Development Lab Preschool is raising money to replace the play yard with one that promotes inclusivity and enhances the quality of care and instruction offered to the Toddler Lab students.
- Virtual Office Hours - Meet with ChAD staff on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 11am-12pm to ask questions, ask for assistance, etc. or email us at any time at email@example.com.
- Undergraduate Academic Advising - Schedule an appointment with an advisor at least once each semester by logging onto Spartan Connect.
- Graduate Academic Advising - Graduate students should plan to meet with the Graduate Coordinator, Dr. Nadia Sorkhabi. Please email her at firstname.lastname@example.org to request for an appointment.
Lurie College & SJSU Announcements
- 2022 U.S. News & World Report Rankings - Lurie College moved up 33 spots in this year's rankings of Best Education Schools and is #2 among universities in the Cal State system, #4 among universities in the Bay Area, and #14 among universities in California.
- Financial Aid Opportunities - Visit this page to learn about the numerous scholarship and grant opportunities available through the college. The application process for scholarships takes place each spring semester.
- SJSU Lurie College of Education Blog - Our college-wide blog contains more announcements, opportunities, and news for and about ChAD students, faculty, staff, and alumni.
Meet Our Students & Faculty
Learn about our 2021 Early Childhood Teacher Scholarship recipients - Athena, Martha, and Cyra - as they share their experiences in the residency program and how it has shaped them going forward
- 0:00 - Meet Athena, Martha, and Cyra
- 0:34 - What has motivated you to pursue a career in early childhood teaching and education?
- 1:46 - How is the Lurie College and ChAD enabling you to make progress towards your hopes, dreams, and goals?
- 3:26 - From your perspective, how might high-quality early childhood education promote equity, inclusion, and/or social justice?
- 6:00 - How will the events of the past year or so shaped your identity, philosophy, and pedagogy as you progress through your academic program and career?
- 8:12 - What's one piece of advice you have for anyone who is applying for our Early Childhood Teacher Scholarship?
Robert Marx, along with Counselor Education faculty Kyoung Mi Choi, have established the "Creating an Inclusive Climate: Queering Our Classrooms & Our Campus" initiative, which offers introductory and advanced trainings at the department and college level around topics like pronouns and vocabulary terms, the hidden curriculum in our classes, and creating opportunities for authentic self-expression. Learn more about the initiative on the Lurie College of Education Strategic Plan webpage.