Information about the Spring 2023 Chicano Commencement will be posted at the start of the Spring 2023 semester. Stay tuned!
LIVESTREAM and RECORDING
Recording of the 52nd Annual Chicano Commencement at SJSU
We are excited to celebrate the 52nd Chicano Commencement at San José State University in person on Saturday, May 28, at 11am at the Provident Credit Union Event Center. Given that Chicano Commencement only occurs in the spring semester, we have prioritized Chicanx/a/o and Latinx/a/o students who completed their degree requirements in Summer/Fall 2021 and students expecting to graduate spring/summer 2022.
Students graduating BEYOND SUMMER 2022 WILL NOT be considered for participation in Chicano Commencement 2022.
Participation Eligibility: Students that meet ONE of the following criteria will be given priority:
- Completed degree requirements in Summer or Fall 2021
- Applied to graduate Spring/Summer 2022 and is verifiable via MySJSU
In order to plan and execute a smooth, safe, and successful Chicano Commencement Ceremony, graduates must follow the instructions below:
- Chicano Commencement Schedule
- Guest Tickets
- Cultural Stole
- Graduation Attire-Academic Regalia
- Covid-19 Protocols
- Event Parking
- Event Venue
- Livestream and Recording
CHICANO COMMENCEMENT SCHEDULE
Chicano Commencement is expected to last up to 2 hours depending on the number of students attending. Doors to the venue will open 1 hour before the ceremony start time. At this time, our ceremonies require safety protocols. SJSU will continue to require masks or face coverings to be worn indoors for the remainder of the semester per the announcement made on April 11, 2022. This requires all graduates and guests over the age of two to wear a mask while inside the venue at Chicano Commencement. Graduates will be allowed to briefly take their masks off as they cross the stage. We appreciate your adherence to this policy.
Immediately following the ceremony, graduates and their guests are invited to join us for light refreshments, music, and a photo booth opportunity inside of the Diaz Compean Student Union Ballroom located on the second floor. While not eating, all attendees are required to wear a mask or face covering while inside of the ballroom. Graduates and their guests may also briefly remove their masks as they take photos at the photo booth.
Registration is now closed.
UPDATE 5/23/2022: FREE Guest tickets may be claimed through Eventbrite. Tickets will be available on a first come, first serve basis and available through Friday, May 27 or until capacity is reached. If capacity is reached, the site will close the "sale" of tickets automatically.
Guest tickets are required for all guests age three and up. Guest ticket allowance is subject to change based on capacity, CDC, state and county health guidelines.
Students who registered by the April 29, 2022 registration deadline will receive a FREE cultural stole. Stoles will be distributed on-campus on designated dates and times. Detailed information will be emailed to registered graduates in the upcoming days. Proof of event registration and Photo ID will be required to pick up your stole. Stoles will not be mailed out before the commencement or during the ceremony. A replacement will not be provided if lost or damaged.
GRADUATION ATTIRE-ACADEMIC REGALIA
Academic regalia is required at the ceremony.
Herff Jones (official academic regalia vendor)
Academic regalia, graduation announcements, class rings and more, may be purchased online for delivery to the address of your choice, or in-person at the Spartan Bookstore. Choose the ALUMNI PACKAGE and save over 50% on an annual SJSU Alumni Association Membership!
Online ordering deadlines and shipping costs are listed below:
- Standard Shipping: Order through 04/24/2022 at 8:59pm
- Domestic Shipping: $12.95
- International Shipping: $29.95
- Rush Shipping (domestic only): Order through 05/06/2022 at 8:59pm
- All Rush Orders (domestic only): $19.95
* All participating graduates are required to wear academic regalia to attend the commencement ceremony.
On April 1, the California Department of Public Health updated its mega indoor event guidelines. SJSU Commencement ceremonies will align with these changes and no longer require proof of vaccination or a negative COVID test result for entry into the Spring 2022 Commencement Ceremonies and activities. However, it is still strongly recommended that all graduates and guests are either fully vaccinated or receive a negative COVID-19 test result before attending their ceremony.
SJSU will continue to require masks or face coverings to be worn indoors for the remainder of the semester per the announcement made on April 11, 2022. This requires all graduates and guests over the age of two to wear a mask while inside the venue at all Spring 2022 Graduation Ceremonies. Graduates will be allowed to briefly take their masks off as they cross the stage. We appreciate your adherence to this policy.
Graduates are eligible to redeem ONE complimentary parking permit. Please check your email for detailed information on how to redeem your complimentary parking permit. The Student Academic ( full year) and Spring Semester virtual permits both expire on 5/31/2022. If you are a student with an active/valid parking permit, you DO NOT need to redeem or purchase an additional parking permit to attend the commencement.
GUEST PARKING PERMITS
Presold parking permits via the link below are at a discounted rate of $4.00/each. Parking permits will cost $5.00/each on the day of the event.
Due to high traffic impact, please consider parking in the North Garage (10th & San Fernando). It is important to pre-purchase your parking permit ahead of time since attempting to purchase at the permit dispenser could delay you from getting to the event on time. Please give yourself enough time to find parking and arrive early to the Chicano Commencement ceremony. ADA parking is located on the ground floor of the South Garage.
Guests are HIGHLY ENCOURAGED to pay for parking permits in advance:
1. Go to link https://sjsu.t2hosted.com/pnw2/selectevent.aspx
2. Select the event you are attending
3. Check the box where you want to park
4. Click ‘ADD TO BASKET’
5. Enter your Vehicle License Plate # and click ‘NEXT’
6. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and select ‘PAY NOW’
7. Scroll to the bottom of the page and select ‘PAY NOW’
8. Complete the required fields and pay for parking with a credit card
The Provident Credit Union Event Center is an accessible building on campus. Students and guests with ADA accessibility needs will enter through the designated entrance on the ground floor of the venue. ADA accessible seating will be available inside of the venue. For questions, please contact the firstname.lastname@example.org.
Event Prohibited Items:
Commencement is a "Clear Bag Policy" [pdf] [pdf] event. For the safety and enjoyment of all attendees, the following items are not permitted at the event:
- NO Drones or airborne flying devices
- NO Helium Balloons
- NO Artificial noise-making devices, horns, air horns
- NO Inflatable balls, frisbees, tortillas, etc.
- NO Confetti or streamers
- NO Skateboards, scooters, rollerblades
- NO Signs or banners larger than 3’ x 5’ and must be foldable (if a banner is brought, it will be inspected before being admitted. It may not be attached to any railings, fencing, etc. Must be held only)
- NO Coolers, hard sided coolers
- NO Outside Food or Beverages (Including Alcohol, Fruit and Candy)
- NO Illegal Substances, Drugs or Drug Paraphernalia
- NO Tobacco Products or Paraphernalia
- NO Markers, Pens or Spray Paint
- NO Laser Pointers
- NO Solid Backpacks, Purses or Bags (see our clear bag policy [pdf] [pdf])
- NO Weapons of Any Kind (Includes Pocket Knives, Pepper Spray, Fireworks, etc.)
- NO Professional Recording Equipment – Photo Video, or Audio (No
- Detachable Lenses, Tripods, Big Zooms or Commercial Use Rigs)
- NO Items deemed to be dangerous or inappropriate by management that may disrupt other attendees' enjoyment of the event
- NO Pets are permitted at this event. ADA service animals are allowed.
- There is no public storage for prohibited items, nor can any items be held by the event staff.
- SJSU is not responsible for any lost or stolen items.
- All guests will be subject to search, which may include the use of electronic devices, pat downs and inspections of bags.
- Guests are discouraged from bringing unnecessary items to the event.