Bias Incident Resource Team Process
Please find below a current draft of the process that the Bias Incident Resource Team will follow to work with complaints that reach us.
SJSU Bias Reporting Steps:
Step 1: Receive Bias Incident Report
- Team reviews and determines appropriate route within 72 hours
- UPD, SCED, ODEI, UP, DHR, Title IX can work with the team if they would like to include an educational sanction/outcome in their process
Step 2: Planning
- Once the report is determined to be a bias incident and not actionable for formal response: Reporting party will be contacted by a team member within 72 hours to determine their optional participation in the process.
- Team will honor anonymous reports and a reporter’s decision not to participate in any process beyond submitting the report.
Step 3: Intervention
- Team member will work with the impacted parties which may include, but is not limited to: education, outreach, and or/a training.
Step 4: Follow Up
- A team member will follow up with the reporter with incident outcome if necessary or desired.
Step 5: Post Incident Data
- Team will track progress of the report and steps taken, that will be turned into a formal case closed report.
- Team will keep data for the annual report and website.
*If at any point after Step 2, the Bias Response Team learns new or additional information that might indicate a violation of policies, regulations, or law, the Team would re-evaluate and hand off to the appropriate office. Individuals still reserve the right to file a complaint with any office.