The EARC determines reasonable and appropriate employment accommodations for qualified SJSU employees with verified disabilities on a case-by-case basis. An employee with a disability is entitled to an accommodation only when the accommodation is needed because of the disability. Possible accommodations are:
- Job restructuring;
- Modified work schedule;
- Acquisition or modification of equipment or devices;
- Adjustment or modifications of examinations, training materials or policies;
- Qualified reader, interpreter, or captioning services;
- Removal of physical access barriers; and/or
- Other similar accommodations for individuals with disabilities
Services and/or needs for which the EARC does not provide support and/or funding include:
- Standard office furniture/equipment, office alterations and/or renovations;
- Minor Capital Outlay projects;equipment or devices for an employee's personal use (e.g., walking canes, hearing aides, glasses, etc.); and
- Personal attendant care.
To determine eligibility for possible employment accommodations, employees must submit appropriate documentation and meet with an EARC representative. Please refer to the Register webpage for eligibility and accommodation request process information.