Higher Ed Teaching Certificate
Become a culturally-sustaining postsecondary instructor!
Our Higher Education Teaching certificate program provides graduate-level coursework and classroom experience to prepare current and future higher education instructors. This certificate program is aimed at developing postsecondary faculty’s culturally-sustaining and responsive pedagogical knowledge grounded in social justice, equity, and inclusion. The program offers a well rounded experience that integrates theory and teaching practicum. The program is offered in a hybrid modality, with the courses taught online and the practicum activities taking place in person.
If you’re a current MA/MS student (at a non-CSU campus) or faculty member in a postsecondary institution, the Higher Education Teaching Certificate is for you!
- Program Overview
- Admission Requirements
- Course Schedule
- Upcoming Info Sessions
- Steps to Apply
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Contact Us
- Format: Online during the summer, hybrid during the fall
- Units: 9 units / 3 courses
- Start term: Summer 2023
- Application window: November 1, 2022 - April 1, 2023
- Application Deadline: April 1st, 2023
- Transcripts Deadline: April 15th, 2023
- MA/MS Degree from a regionally accredited institution or currently enrolled in a MA/MS
- Minimum GPA of 2.5, based on a 4.0 scale
- Candidates must also meet all SJSU admissions requirements
- TOEFL score of 600 and above (for international students only)
Applicants from countries in which the native language is not English must submit TOEFL scores. Minimum TOEFL scores acceptable for admission are 600 (paper-based), 250 (computer-based), or 100 (internet-based)
|Summer 2023 | 2 Courses (6 units)|
7 week session each
EDLD 212- Diversity, Equity, and Social Justice in Higher Education
EDLD 250- Emancipatory Pedagogy in Higher Education
Fall 2023 | 1 Course (3 units)
15 week session
EDLD 251- Higher Education Teaching Practicum
For more details about each of these courses, visit the SJSU Catalog website.
Meet with our program faculty and learn more about our Certificate in Higher Education Teaching program by requesting a group and/or private information session by selecting below.
International students only: Contact WES to have your international transcripts evaluated. You will also be required to take the TOEFL test and have ETS send your official TOEFL transcript to SJSU.
Step 1 | Notify Our Department
Step 2 | Begin your Cal State Apply application
- Summer 2023 application deadline: April 1, 2023
- Program name: Certificate, Higher Education Teaching
- Visit calstate.edu/apply to create your application profile and pay the $70 application fee.
Step 3 | Prepare Your Response
- In no more than 300 words per answer, please respond to the following two questions:
- Please describe your teaching philosophy and how you respond to and incorporate diverse perspectives in your pedagogy?
- What is the role of institutions of higher education in addressing issues of diversity and social justice?
Step 4 | Submit Your Transcripts
Request one official transcript from each college/university where you studied and submit the official sealed transcript(s) directly from each college/university to the SJSU Graduate Admissions office at:
Graduate Admissions and Program Evaluations
San Jose State University
One Washington Square
San Jose, CA 95192-0017
If the college/university provides official electronic transcripts, the institution can email the transcripts to email@example.com. Questions pertaining to transcripts, GPA calculations, and application fees should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Step 5 | Submit Your Application
Once you submit your application via Cal State Apply, check your application status online at one.sjsu.edu. Your ID and PINs are provided shortly by SJSU's Graduate Admissions and Program Evaluations Office after you submit your application via Cal State Apply.
The total application processing time is between five to six weeks after all necessary documents have been received by the Graduate Admissions and Program Evaluations Office, so we recommend that you submit your application early in the processing cycle.
For more information and to apply, email the Department of Educational Leadership, at email@example.com.