MA, Higher Ed Leadership
Our new MA program prepares higher education leaders through an equity-minded praxis approach to engage in transformative thinking and practice with the goal of disrupting how power, in the form of racism, classism, sexism, and related oppressions intersect to (re)produce and sustain disparate higher educational opportunities.
The Higher Education Leadership Master’s Program directly aligns and amplifies the SJSU mission and Transformation 2030 Strategic Plan by serving the educational needs of the community and the region by preparing transformative future leaders through emancipatory and experiential learning approaches in the local and regional contexts; and by conducting cutting edge research that contributes to equity-minded and justice driven approaches to theory, practice, and education while concurrently advancing standards and values of Excellence, Ethics, Entrepreneurship, and Engagement.
- Program Overview
- Program Learning Outcomes (Coming Soon)
- Admission Requirements
- Curriculum and Roadmaps
- Upcoming Info Sessions
- Steps to Apply
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Contact Us
- Additional Student Resources
- Official Title: MA, Higher Education Leadership
- Format: Cohort, hybrid model with courses taught in-person and online
- Units: 30 units
- Start Term: Summer
- Program length: 1 year
- Application deadline EXTENDED: April 15, 2022
- Letters of recommendation and transcripts deadline: April 20, 2022
- BA degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Minimum GPA of 3.0, based on a 4.0 scale
- Three letters of recommendation
- Candidates must also meet all SJSU admissions requirements
- TOEFL score of 600 and above (for international students only)
- Applicants from countries in which the native language is not English must submit TOEFL scores. Minimum TOEFL scores acceptable for admission are 600 (paper-based), 250 (computer-based), or 100 (internet-based)
This program consists of 30 units of coursework. Descriptions of the required courses are forthcoming and will be available on the SJSU Catalog website early 2022.
Meet with our program faculty and learn more about our MA in Higher Education Leadership program by requesting a group and/or private information session by selecting below.
International students only: Contact WES to have your international transcripts evaluated. You will also be required to take the TOEFL test and have ETS send your official TOEFL transcript to SJSU.
Step 1 | Notify Our Department
Step 2 | Begin your Cal State Apply application
- Summer 2022 application deadline EXTENDED: April 15, 2022
- Program name: Educational Leadership, Higher Education Leadership, MA
- Visit calstate.edu/apply to create your application profile and pay the $70 application fee.
Step 3 | Prepare Your Documents
After creating your Cal State Apply profile, keep in mind that you will need to prepare the three following required documents before the document deadline, which is April 20, 2022.
Create a PDF or Word version of your most recent resume that highlights your professional and leadership experience.
Statement of Purpose
In no more than 300 words, describe how your educational pathway has influenced and prepared you for your future professional and educational goals.
How do you see the Higher Education Leadership MA degree program in the Department of Educational Leadership helping you achieve these goals? Provide specific examples that relate to the degree program and department.
In no more than 500 words, respond to the following prompt:
What is the role and value of an equity-minded approach to the study and application of higher education leadership?
For a reference on equity-mindedness, visit cue.usc.edu/about/equity/equity-mindedness.
Step 4 | Request recommendations
By April 20, 2022, submit three (3) letters of recommendation
- Recommendation letters may be submitted directly from your recommender to the Higher Education Leadership MA Program. At least one letter must be from someone who can attest to your academic work, such as a professor or other faculty member. The other two may be from a previous supervisor or colleague, or someone with the knowledge of your potential leadership, this might include a recent/former supervisor, faculty, advisor and/or mentor.
- All materials from the same recommender need to be uploaded as one PDF file on the Cal State Apply portal. A notification will be sent by the Cal State Apply system to your selected recommenders prompting them to upload their recommendation materials.
Step 5 | Submit your transcripts
Request one official transcript from each college/university where you studied and submit the official sealed transcript(s) directly from each college/university to the SJSU Graduate Admissions office at:
Graduate Admissions and Program Evaluations
San Jose State University
One Washington Square
San Jose, CA 95192-0017
If the college/university provides official electronic transcripts, the institution can email the transcripts to firstname.lastname@example.org. Questions pertaining to transcripts, GPA calculations, and application fees should be directed to email@example.com.
Step 6 | Submit your application
Once you submit your application via Cal State Apply, check your application status online at one.sjsu.edu. Your ID and PINs are provided shortly by SJSU's Graduate Admissions and Program Evaluations Office after you submit your application via Cal State Apply.
The total application processing time is between five to six weeks after all necessary documents have been received by the Graduate Admissions and Program Evaluations Office, so we recommend that you submit your application early in the processing cycle.
Next Steps | Application review
Applicants whose files are complete will be invited to an interview to finalize the application process.
Applicants will receive an email from the Department of Educational Leadership regarding their status (i.e., acceptance) by early May. In addition applicants will also receive a letter from GAPE regarding their status after the department has made its decision. The letter from GAPE will provide information about how to register for classes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Additional Student Resources
For information about financial aid opportunities, internship and Lurie College of Education resources, and more, visit our Student Resources webpage.