BA in Sociology, No Concentration
The BA in Sociology, offered by the Department of Sociology and Interdisciplinary Social Sciences, educates students about social processes that create, maintain, and transform social institutions and social identities. Sociology provides a framework for understanding social behavior in groups, social change and inequality in society, and solutions to social problems. Analytical and research skills speak to the needs of a changing world. The degree offers students the widest flexibility in terms of future career choices.
All students should regularly consult an advisor in the major. Sociology advisors have drop-in advising hours. For a schedule of advising hours, see Advising.
Requirements of the Major (39 units)
To view a list of courses required for a BA in Sociology, plus course descriptions, please go to the current SJSU Catalog.
- General Sociology (No Concentration) [pdf]
- Sociology Contract for Major [pdf]
- Recommended Four-Year Degree Roadmaps
- Sociology 100W Credit Request [pdf]
- Sociology Statistics Credit Request [pdf]
Transfer Credit & Articulation
- Transfer Planning Guide
- Articulation Correspondences, Sorted by SJSU Course
- Articulation Correspondences, Sorted by School
- See the SJSU Catalog for complete degree information on the BA in Sociology. Requirements of the major are only part of the requirements for graduation, as briefly summarized here:
|University Graduation Requirements||
- A minor in another department is strongly recommended: Students may elect to minor in one of the 4 Ethnic Studies areas: African American Studies, Asian American Studies,Chicana and Chicano Studies, or Native American Studies (now housed in our department; minor information coming soon). Please see an advisor in those departments and programs for minor advising and double counting of major and minor courses.”
Some classes “double count” in GE or SJSU Studies as well as in the Sociology major. However, the units for the class only count once. You should keep track of the cumulative number of units you have earned. Check your transcript on MYSJSU.