Advanced Teaching Certificate in Common Core Mathematics (K-8)
This program is currently inactive.
Our Advanced Teaching Certificate in Common Core Mathematics (K-8) focuses on developing the mathematical knowledge for teaching (K-8) Common Core Standards and Mathematical Practices. Additional emphasis will be placed on pedagogical strategies to foster motivation, engagement, and the development of academic language in mathematics. This certificate program is beneficial for:
- Practicing Teachers
- Multiple Subject Credential Program Graduates
- Single Subject Credential Program Graduates teaching Middle School
- Teachers considering a Masters in Education.
Goals and Objectives
- Increase teachers’ mathematical knowledge for teaching newly adopted mathematics Common Core Standards and Practices (Grades K-8).
- Increase teachers’ use of “high leverage” mathematical practices to foster student learning (Ball, 2011).
- Increase teachers’ ability to integrate mathematics instruction with the development of students’ academic content language.
- Increase teachers’ ability to foster students’ resilience and productive disposition towards learning and doing mathematics.
Advanced Teaching Certificate Courses
Courses may be taken individually or in combination, with three of the four courses (9 units) required to earn an Advanced Teaching Certificate in Common Core Mathematics (K-8). Nine units may be transferred into our Master of Arts in Teaching program.
- EDTE 230 - Mathematics: Teaching Common Core, Grades K-3
- EDTE 231 - Math Seminar: Common Core, Grades K-3
- EDTE 232 - Mathematics: Teaching Common Core, Grades 4-8
- EDTE 233 - Math Seminar: Common Core, Grades 4-8
Full descriptions of these courses are availble on the SJSU Catalog website.
For more information, contact Dr. Patty Swanson at firstname.lastname@example.org.