Teacher Residency Program
Ideal for local candidates who want to learn to teach and start their career in a district nearby, our Teacher Residency Program is an accelerated, a year-long student teaching placement at a single school site and enables residents to:
- Learn to teach and launch your career in the SJSU service area
- Receive a stipend up to $35,000
- Finish the credential program in 13 months (Summer start)
- Develop yearlong relationships with your students
- Work with the same mentor teacher for the year and become immersed in the school, district and community culture
- Priority job interviews and hiring in your placement district or affiliated districts, district support for four years as your career develops
2023-2024 and 2024-2025 Cohort Information
Apply to San Jose State credential program or credential with masters program and complete a supplemental application. Applicants will follow with an interview with potential host district(s) for placements. Program options include pathways that facilitate eligibility include full-time coursework beginning in spring (3-semester option) or summer (one-year option) and part-time coursework beginning in the fall (two-year option). During the fall and spring residency semesters, students continue to take a full-time load of credential and/or masters courses.
Each residency program includes a credential focus and has tailored professional development support for both teacher residents and their mentors. See below for program options and participating districts. Click each for a full description and advising contacts:
- If you want to learn more about becoming a Teacher Resident, contact Kristy Cross
- Office Phone: 408-924-2300
- Email or leave a phone message with your name, phone number, and best time to reach you. (You may provide information regarding your program of interest and any other details).
- Complete our Teacher Residency Supplementary Application Google Form for your program of interest.
- Cal State Apply | CSU
- APPLY NOW: Click the drop down menu for the next term and apply to the selected credential program and fill out the Google Form at the bottom for your selected Teacher Residency pathway.
- Important: You must apply to the credential program if you are applying for a credential only
or a credential with a Master of Arts (MAT) degree program.
- Multiple Subject / Elementary Education Credential program (TK, K-8 with or with bilingual authorization)
- Single Subject / Secondary Education Credential program (Social Studies with focus on Ethnic Studies)
- Credential Programs | Special Education (Early Childhood, Mild to Moderate, or Moderate to Severe)
Join us for virtual advising hours:
- Sign up for an information session