Syllabus Statement & Canvas Modules
To inform your students about the Writing Center and the services that we offer, please use the following statement on your course syllabi:
The San José State University Writing Center offers a variety of resources to help students become better writers, and all of our services are free for SJSU students. Our mission is to enhance the writing skills of SJSU students so they can communicate clearly in any setting (informal, academic, or professional). We accomplish this goal through creating original writing resources, offering workshops, and conducting one-on-one and small-group tutoring sessions.
The SJSU Writing Center conducts scheduled appointments on the second floor of the MLK Library. We also offer online tutoring sessions using the Zoom web conferencing platform. All appointments can be made online at sjsu.mywconline.com.
All our writing tutors have gone through a rigorous hiring process, and they are well trained to assist all students at all levels within all disciplines to become better writers. In addition to tutoring services, the Writing Center also offers workshops every semester on a variety of writing topics. To make an appointment, register for a workshop, or to refer to the numerous online resources offered through the Writing Center, visit the Writing Center website at http://www.sjsu.edu/writingcenter.
We have created multiple Canvas modules that you can add to your writing-intensive classes. The following modules are available through the Canvas Commons for you to import/download.
- SJSU Writing Center Services (Undergraduate Students)
- SJSU Writing Center Services (Graduate Students)
- Graduate Writing in the Disciplines Guide: Library & Information Science
- Graduate Writing in the Disciplines Guide: Education
- Graduate Writing in the Disciplines Guide: Business
- Graduate Writing in the Disciplines Guide: Social Work
- Graduate Writing in the Disciplines Guide: Occupational Therapy
- Graduate Writing in the Disciplines Guide: Computer & Software
By adding our relevant modules to your courses, you're making it even easier for your students to access our resources and information about support services.
To include our modules in your Canvas course(s), take the following steps.
- Navigate to the Canvas Commons. (There's a link to "Commons" on the left-hand side
of the screen after you've logged into the Canvas system.)
- In the Canvas Commons search bar, search for any of the module titles listed above.
The result will appear on the screen.
- Click on the module you are interested in adding to your course(s).
- Click the "Import/Download" button link on the right-hand side of the screen.
- Select the course(s) in which you'd like to add our module.
- Click "Import into Course."
Once you've started the import process, you will see a green bar toward the top of the screen confirming that the import process has begun. When you visit your Canvas course again, our Writing Center module will now be added!