Become a Transformative Counselor!
At the SJSU Lurie College of Education Counselor Education Department, we are a professional community of faculty, students, and staff engaged in supportive partnerships to serve culturally diverse students at all levels of education and their communities. We prepare guidance and counseling professionals who will enhance quality and excellence for all students within an increasingly diverse, technologically complex, and global community.
By pursuing scholarly, reflective, and applied inquiry, we aim to promote, enhance, and increase access to a meaningful lifelong education. Our faculty, staff, and graduates are compassionate professionals who interact and practice ethically being mindful of our roles and responsibilities in a democratic society.
Counselor Education Announcements
- Information Meeting: Tuesday, June 14, 2022 at 6 PM
Click to register for meeting
- Information Meeting: Tuesday, July 12, 2022, at 6 PM
Click to register for Meeting
- Information Meetings: Tuesday, August 23, 2022, at 6:00 PM
Click to register for Meeting
- Fall 2022 Application Cycle: CLOSED - No longer accepting applications
- Spring 2023 Application Cycle: August 1, 2022 - October 1, 2022
- Fall 2023 Application Cycle: October 1, 2022 - February 1, 2023
Lurie College and SJSU Announcements
- 2020-2021 Impact Report - As we emerge from the COVID-19 pandemic, our SJSU Lurie College of Education is positioned to lead. Read about the impact of our students, faculty, programs, and more from the past year.
- 2022 U.S. News and World Report Rankings - Lurie College moved up 33 spots in this year's rankings of Best Education Schools and is #2 among universities in the Cal State system, #4 among universities in the Bay Area, and #14 among universities in California.
- Financial Aid Opportunities - Visit this page to learn about the numerous scholarship and grant opportunities available through the college. The application process for scholarships takes place each spring semester.
- SJSU Lurie College of Education Blog - Our college-wide blog contains more announcements, opportunities, and news for and about Counselor Education students, faculty, staff, and alumni.
- SJSU Counseling and Psychological Services - If you are an SJSU student who is in need of SJSU counseling services and not the Department of Counselor Education, please visit their website instead.
- SJSU Academic Advising and Retention Services - If you are an SJSU student who is in need of general academic advising and not the Department of Counselor Education, please visit their website instead.
Student and Faculty Spotlights
Victor Calvillo Chavez, Yesenia Torres, Jasmine Torres, Laura Sheldon, Jilian Gomez, Ligia Briseno, and Elvia Hernandez participated in an international ZoomPal project with students from Ewha Womans University in South Korea to discuss topics like diversity in college life, learning styles and academic success, career exploration and decision-making process, friendship and romantic relationships, and self-care and mental health in COVID-19.
Dr. Kyoung Mi Choi published the opinion piece "What I Learned When I Came Out to My Asian Mother" in Yes! Magazine.
"Initially, she was shocked. She expressed her excruciating pain and disappointment toward me and herself, thinking that she wasn’t a “good” Asian mother. She became silent for a while; years went by. Then she slowly opened up, started asking me questions, listening to my stories, and meeting my partner. She ultimately replaced her feelings of shame and guilt with deeper understanding and love."