Student Leadership Ambassadors
Student Assistant Recruitment & Selection Timeline
Applications are now closed for the 2022-2023 academic school year. Please check back again in March/April 2023 for any available positions for the 2023-2024 academic school year!
Student Assistants (SAs) will represent the student voice within the department of Student Involvement (SI). Through knowledge sharing and working in collaboration with SI staff, SAs will better inform SI’s work in the department’s four main areas and programs:
- Recognized Student Organizations
- Fraternity and Sorority Life
- Campus Programming
- Leadership Development
SAs will contribute to the office’s ability to meet its mission and vision:
- Mission: Grounded in our commitment to the values of inclusivity, integrity, and success, we provide opportunities for students to engage and develop. We promote community, leadership and learning through our innovative programs and services.
- Vision: We aspire to provide transformational experiences through purposeful engagement to enhance student services.
SAs will be under the supervision of the Assistant Director of Student Involvement. SAs serve as representatives of the department and must conduct themselves in a professional and businesslike manner at all times. Due to the nature of work, SAs must have the ability to maintain confidentiality, be reliable, have good communication skills, and be proactive in assisting the office staff in a variety of tasks.
Position Eligibility Qualifications
- Have a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA and be in good academic standing.
- Be in good judicial standing from the Office of Student Conduct and Ethical Development.
- Be a current SJSU student and have passed at least 12 semester units at SJSU in the prior semester.
- Not be enrolled in more than 18 units during the semester in which they work.
- Relate well with students, staff, faculty, and administrators
- Be reliable, punctual, responsible, flexible, a team player, and demonstrate strong verbal communication skills
- Conduct oneself in a professional manner at all times
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Actively participate in monthly meetings with professional staff in SI’s Campus Programming and Leadership Development cluster
- Attend and participate in all Student Assistant trainings including a week-long training in August
- Develop and facilitate workshops/presentations relating to leadership and/or involvement on behalf of SI (minimum 1 workshop/presentation per semester)
- Communicate effectively and regularly on an individual and group basis with Student Involvement staff and other campus departments
- Outreach to various student populations and groups to gain a better understanding of student needs from the department of Student Involvement and beyond. This may be in person in the form of 1:1 conversations, focus groups, student organization group meetings, presentations or online via e-mail communication, polls, surveys, etc.
- Assist in the coordination and logistical planning for SI programs and events. Assistance may include brainstorming of programming from the beginning up to implementation and execution.
- Maintain confidentiality as it relates to all SI business
- Promote and market events put on by SI, the Division of Student Affairs, and wider SJSU campus departments
- Participate and support various campus events and initiatives as requested by Student Involvement, the Division of Student Affairs, and wider SJSU campus departments (Weeks of Welcome, Homecoming, etc.)
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities
- Direct and screen incoming calls and visitors to the department
- Greet visitors and guests in a positive manner
- Office mail distribution
- Make on and off-campus deliveries
- Assist staff with general clerical work (copying, printing, scanning and faxing)
- Create, prepare and/or compose a wide range of correspondence, charts, forms and reports upon the direction of the supervisor or other staff
- Assist and prep for meetings and events
- Attend mandatory staff trainings and meetings
- Other duties and projects assigned by SI team
- Opportunity to contribute to the enhancement of programs and services coming out of SI and Division of Student Affairs
- Recognition as one of SJSU’s visible leaders
- Extensive leadership training for personal and professional growth
- Opportunities to make connections with fellow students, faculty, staff, and other SJSU members
- Professional development and career readiness in the areas of:
- Critical Thinking/Problem Solving
- Oral/Written Communication
- Technology Competency
- Career Exploration
- Diversity/Equity/Inclusion Fluency
- Average hours per week (5-20 hours per week) may vary significantly depending on student availability and needs of the office throughout the academic year.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 408-924-5950.