There are two predefined programs offered under the HFE Program. The specific application details for each track may be found at the links below. Applicants must select the one program they apply to in advance.
Both programs share a common set of core classes, on top of which are layered an additional set of concentration specific required classes. Space is provided for several elective courses in both tracks and students have a great deal of flexibly in choosing them from among the SJSU catalog.
Both tracks require a 4-credit individual capstone project or thesis.
Students are welcome to fine tune their emphases in conjunction with their advisor within the HFE program provided that they complete the core course requirements as outlined in the Graduation Requirements page of this site. Within either concentration students can tailor studies for either a design focused or research industry career.
The common core classes for both tracks include:
- ISE 210 - Human Factors/Ergonomics
- ISE 212 - Human Factors Experiments
- ISE 290 - Human Factors & Ergonomics Professional Seminar
Three other core classes for the MS HFE program are
- ISE 211 – Experiment Design for Human Factors Engineering
- Psyc 273 – Seminar in Human Factors
- Kin 266 - Principles and Concepts of Perceptual Motor Learning
The required classes for the MS HFE User Experience Concentration
- ISE 215 – Usability Evaluation and Testing
- ISE 217 - Human-Computer Interaction
- ISE 218 - Interaction Design I
- ISE 220 - Interaction Design II
Listed below is sample of the wide range of HFE relevant classes offered at SJSU:
Note: not all classes are offered on a consistent basis.
Human-Computer Interaction Emphasis
- ISE 215 – Usability Evaluation and Testing *
- ISE 217 - Human-Computer Interaction *
- ISE 218 - Interaction Design I *
- ISE 219 - Research in Human Computer Interaction
- ISE 220 - Interaction Design II *
- CS 235 - UI Design
- ANTH 149 - Ethnographic Techniques
- DSID 131 - Interactive and Interface Design
* indicates required classes for UX concentration.
Cognitive Psychology Emphasis
- Psyc 220 - Seminar in Experimental Psychology
- Psyc 235 - Seminar in Cognitive Psychology
- Psyc 256 - Seminar in Perception
- ISE 112 - Occupational Health
- ISE 114 - Safety Engineering
- KIN 257 - Biomechanics
- KIN 255 - Advanced Exercise Physiology
- KIN 250 - Fundamentals of Quantitative Research
- DSID 226 - Ergonomics for Design