COVID-19 Vaccine Requirements
Per California State University (CSU) policy, students, faculty and staff must be vaccinated by September 30 against COVID-19 if they are accessing campus facilities at any university location across the 23 campuses, regardless of FDA approval of the available vaccines approved for emergency use. The CSU’s COVID-19 vaccination policy will allow medical and religious exemptions.
SJSU is aligning with the September 30 deadline for vaccination verification. Previously, the Student Wellness Center mentioned August 6 as the deadline to upload vaccination verification — this August 6 date was established before the CSU policy was finalized. All vaccination certification for students, faculty and staff will now align with the September 30 deadline. Students living in University Housing must be fully vaccinated prior to moving in.
To be fully vaccinated by September 30 to comply with the requirement, you must get your final dose of the Moderna or Pfizer vaccines, or the only dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, by September 16. If you choose to receive the Moderna vaccine, you must get your first dose by August 19. If you choose to receive the Pfizer vaccine, you must get your first dose by August 26.
“Fully vaccinated” means you received, at least 14 days prior, either the second dose in a two-dose COVID-19 vaccine series or a single-dose COVID-19 vaccine. Vaccines must be:
- FDA approved;
- have an emergency use authorization from the FDA; or,
- for individuals fully vaccinated outside the United States, be listed for emergency use by the World Health Organization (WHO).
Students, faculty and staff who have not already self-attested and verified they are fully vaccinated will be entered into testing protocol. You will be removed from testing protocols after you have self-attested and provided documentation that you are fully vaccinated.
Submit Proof of Vaccination
You must complete both steps to be compliant:
- Report your vaccination status using the COVID-19 Vaccine Self-Certification form. You will be asked to certify your current vaccination status and indicate if you qualify for a religious or medical exemption. Students requesting a religious exemption can upload their supporting documentation as an attachment on the COVID-19 Vaccine Self-Certification form. Prior to submitting a religious exemption form, please convert the PDF into a .BMP, .JPG, .JPEG, .GIF, and .PNG, type attachment. All other attachment types will not be accepted.
- Submit verification on the Student Health Center Patient Portal. You will need to submit proof of your COVID-19 vaccination record and/or request for a medical exemption. Proof can include a scanned/photo copy of your vaccine card or a record containing all of the following: full name, date of birth, manufacturer/brand of vaccine, vaccine lot number, administration date and site. Please ensure all information is visible and legible in English to prevent delays in verification.
To meet full vaccination requirements as outlined by CDC, students will need to submit both steps by September 30, 2021.
Instructions to Submit COVID-19 Vaccination Record for Verification on Patient Portal
- Prepare your COVID-19 Vaccination Record. Create a digital copy/picture of your COVID-19 Vaccination document. A smartphone photo will work.
- Navigate to the Student Health Center Patient Portal (link below)
- Enter your SJSU ID number and password
- Duo Authentication is required prior to logging in
- Enter your Date of Birth
- Navigate to Medical Clearances tab on the left panel
- Navigate to COVID-19 vaccine tab.
- Complete COVID-19 vaccination information (i.e. dosage dates, vaccine type/manufacturer name)
- Click the "Update" button to upload your COVID-19 vaccination record. Please attach a translated copy in English if your record is in a different language.
- To submit a medical exemption, please complete the Medical Exemption Request Form and upload the completed form by clicking on COVID-19 Record Upload button.
- If your COVID-19 vaccination record does not meet verification guidelines, you will be notified via secure messages in your Student Health Center patient portal to take further action or submit additional documents.
Check Your Verification Status
Please allow 2-10 business days for your record to be processed and verified. Note: Due to the increased volume of screening, verification may be delayed. Check your Medical Clearance tab on the Student Health Center Patient Portal as the portal is not set up for auto notifications. The COVID-19 vaccine status will change from non-compliant to compliant when records have been verified.
If your COVID-19 vaccination record does not meet verification guidelines, you will be notified via secure messages in your Student Health Center patient portal to take further action or submit additional documents.
Download the medical exemption form [pdf]. This form must be submitted on the Student Health Center Patient Portal. Note: the Student Health Center Patient Portal does not accept religious exemptions.
Students will be notified via secured message in the Patient Portal if their exemption has been approved. Please allow 2-10 business days for your record to be processed and verified. If approved, students will also be notified about participating in required COVID-19 safety measures.
Download the religious exemption form [pdf]. Please submit your supporting documentation for a religious exemption on the COVID-19 Vaccine Self-Certification form. Note: the Student Health Center Patient Portal does not accept religious exemptions. Please make sure that your document upload is in the following formats: BMP, .JPG, .JPEG, .GIF, and .PNG, type attachment. All other attachment types will not be accepted.
Students can check the status of their religious exemption after August 6th in their MySJSU account. Due to the increased volume of screening, verification may be delayed. If approved, students will also be notified about participating in required COVID-19 safety measures.
INCOMING FALL 2021 STUDENTS
Incoming Fall 2021 students have additional immunization requirements which they must satisfy prior to August 19, 2021. Newly matriculated students must also submit proof for the following:
CSU Required Immunizations:
- Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR) Vaccine
- Hepatitis B Vaccine
- Meningococcal Conjugate: (Serogroups A, C, Y and W-135)
- Tetanus/Pertussis/Diphtheria Booster (Tdap)
- Varicella (Chicken Pox Vaccine)
All incoming students must also complete a tuberculosis screening questionnaire in their Student Health Center Online Services/Patient Portal.
Per CSU Executive Order 803, incoming students who are at higher risk for TB infection, as indicated by answering “yes” to any of the screening questions, should undergo either skin or blood testing for TB infection within one year of CSU entry.