When you enroll at SJSU, you gain access to our fully accredited medical facility located in the Student Wellness Center. We offer out-patient services with board certified physicians and licensed staff. Visit us if you need to see a doctor to treat an illness or injury, pick up prescriptions at the pharmacy, or get lab tests, x-rays, and more.
In this section:
- Sexual and Reproductive Health
- Gender Affirming Care Services
- Physical Therapy
- Sports Medicine
- Travel Care
SJSU eligible students can receive primary care visits, which include care for acute injuries and illnesses (like the flu, sprains, UTIs, etc), physical exams (academic, pre-employment, routine, SCUBA and DMV physicals), preventive health counseling, sexual and reproductive health including birth control prescription (short and long acting contraception), pap smears, STI testing, and pregnancy resources.
Health screening examinations are generally recommended based on age and risk factors, rather than routine yearly physicals.
Please see the Patient Guide For Sensitive Exams [pdf] to best understand your options should you need an exam of this nature.
- Schedule your first Pap smear after age 21 to screen for cervical cancer
- Clinical breast exam is usually performed along with the Pap smear
Senate Bill (SB) 24 requires all CSU campuses to offer medication abortion to students. If you receive a positive pregnancy test during an exam at the Student Wellness Center, we’ll provide you with pregnancy options and, if eligible and requested, medication abortion with follow up care from trusted SJSU healthcare providers.
Visit the Condom Co-Op to access a variety of free safer sex supplies.
- After Hours Advice Nurse: 408-924-5678
- SCVMC-SART (Sexual Assault Recovery Team): 408-885-6466
- 24-hour Rape Crisis Hotline: 408-287-3000
- Planned Parenthood: plannedparenthood.com
- The YWCA Silicon Valley 24/7 Support Hotline in English and Spanish provides survivors of sexual assault with crucial resources, support, and advocacy efforts. SJSU students can access these services by calling 1-800-572-2782.
- Emergency Contraception Hotline: Not-2-Late.com or call 1-888-668-2523
For local resources, contact the Gender Care Clinic at 777 E. Santa Clara St. San Jose, CA or call (408) 977-4411.
Care for foot and podiatry services are offered. Referral by a Wellness Center clinician is not required.
Appointments are available with a psychiatrist. Referral by a Health Services or Counseling and Psychological Services Clinician is required.
Students previously diagnosed and/or treated for ADHD who request refill of ADHD medications from the Student Wellness Center will be required to provide complete documentation of ADHD evaluation [pdf].
Students will need to arrange to receive refills of medications from their current prescriber until care has been transferred to the Student Wellness Center.
Student Wellness Center does not provide services for new ADHD evaluation or testing. For local outside referral sources, call us at (408) 924-5678.
Physical therapy is a process by which professional care is given to restore health and function, prevent disability, promote healing, relieve pain, and adapt to permanent disability. Physical therapy teaches immediate and follow-up techniques to reduce symptoms and help prevent re-injury or recurrence. Physical therapy is available at the Student Wellness Center to all current SJSU students. A referral from a Wellness Center clinician is required.
Physical therapy assists in the treatment of:
- Muscle tension headaches/TMJD
- Strains & sprains: Ankle, knee, shoulder, wrist, back, or neck
- Surgery: Pre/Post orthopedic surgical rehabilitation
- Repetitive motion injuries: Carpal tunnel, shoulder impingement, and shin splints
- Lower back and neck pain
- Pain management and stabilization after motor vehicle accidents
- The first appointment is an evaluation, which will usually last 60 to 90 minutes.
- Follow-up appointments last from 30 to 60 minutes depending on the types of injury and the patient's progression.
- These appointments include:
- Evaluation (or re-assessment)
- Warm-up exercise
- Manual therapy
- Therapeutic exercise
- Modalities (ice, hot pack, EMS, TENS, paraffin bath, contrast bath, ultrasound, phonophoresis, and biofeedback)
Care for sports-related and orthopedic concerns is provided. Referral by a Wellness Center clinician is not required.
Comprehensive travel health consultation (45-minute appointment) is available to reduce risks of illness and accidents when traveling abroad. Before your appointment, download the Travel Medical Consult Questionnaire [pdf]. This form needs to be printed, completed, and faxed to (408) 924-7786 for the student's travel consultation.
Many laboratory tests can be obtained from the Student Wellness Center. Most laboratory tests that are run by our laboratory in house can be free of charge. Tests that must be performed at an outside laboratory have varying fees.
All diagnostic radiology exams are free to all matriculated students who have paid the appropriate mandatory student health fee. Radiology images become part of your permanent medical record for 7 years. If needed, CD images are available for a minimum fee, upon receipt of a signed Release of Medical Information form.
Athletes: A physician's order is required for any radiology exam by either a Student Wellness Center Physician/Nurse Practitioner or one of the team physicians. SJSU student-athletes must report back to their referring provider or Athletic Trainer.