The SARS-CoV-2 virus, which causes COVID-19 disease, comes from a family of viruses that are known to cause illness ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases. Older adults and persons with underlying medical conditions may be at higher risk from COVID-19.
Symptoms of COVID-19 infection include respiratory symptoms such as cough, shortness of breath, and fever. Additional symptoms may include sore throat, chills, headache, muscle pain, and new loss of taste or smell.
Symptoms may appear in as few as 2 days or as long as 14 days after exposure. A severe infection with the SARS-CoV-2 virus can lead to serious acute respiratory and systemic illness.
- Wash hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or using an alcohol-based rub if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with sick people.
- Follow local public health guidelines.
- Wear a face covering when out in crowded public spaces.
If Symptoms Appear
If you feel ill with symptoms of fever, cough, sore throat or difficulty breathing, get tested and stay home. If you test positive for COVID 19 and are at high risk to getting sick, talk to a healthcare provider or the SJSU Student Wellness Center about treatments.
If you have more questions, call your healthcare provider or the SJSU Student Wellness Center at 408-924-5678. The Student Wellness Center is available for advice and in-person, phone and telehealth visits.
Testing Positive for COVID-19
All students, staff, faculty, and axillary employees must notify* SJSU via the Report a Case form when they:
Have tested positive for COVID-19, even if you aren't exhibiting symptoms
* Particularly if expected to be on campus or was on campus within the previous two weeks
If you have tested positive for COVID-19, please follow these important guidelines:
- Stay home until you have recovered and are not infectious
- Do not come to campus at any time during isolation.
- Should you start to display symptoms, please seek medical attention if needed
- Please respond if you are contacted by the Case Management team from the SJSU Student Wellness Center
- Visit Santa Clara County Public Health website for information on isolation guidelines
Local Testing Resources
For information on local COVID-19 testing sites:
For information on authorized COVID-19 Vaccines:
Isolation & Quarantine Information
Other Available Resources
The following resources are available with information on COVID-19: