Applying for graduate school at San José State University requires a two-step process. Graduate applicants must meet both the minimum SJSU Eligibility requirements AND the MS ISE degree program requirements.
- Please visit the Graduate Admissions and Program Evaluations website for general information regarding graduate admission at SJSU and how to apply online.
- For English Language Proficiency Requirements please refer to
- Application Deadlines
Basic Admission Requirements
- A bachelor's degree in Industrial or Systems Engineering from an ABET-accredited University;
- OR -
- A bachelor's degree in Engineering or Mathematical Sciences (including Mathematics,
Statistics and Computer Science) plus ISE courses specified by the Graduate Advisor
to prepare for graduate work in the Department;
- OR -
- A bachelor's degree in Natural Sciences plus ISE and MATH courses specified by the
Graduate Advisor to prepare for graduate work in the Department.
For application details, please refer to the F.A.Q's.
Requirements for Admission to Classified Standing
Applicants for classified standing will ordinarily be expected to have completed work for the BS degree in industrial engineering (or its equivalent) at San Jose State University or at another university with an accredited curriculum, with a grade point average of 3.0 (B) or better in the upper division work.
Admission to Conditionally Classified Standing
If student's preparation for advanced graduate work is inadequate, he may be admitted to conditionally classified standing, and be required to take necessary preparatory courses before becoming classified. Such courses will not ordinarily count as part of the Master's degree program requirements. Students who are admitted on a conditionally classified basis must complete a "Change of Classification in Master’s Program" petition as early as possible upon completion of specified conditions. While in the conditionally classified standing, the student can take any graduate ISE courses that do not require any prerequisites not yet completed.