University Graduation Requirements Petitions
Students, who have completed in-depth coursework in science that is not certified for GE, may request an alternative package to satisfy Core Physical Science (B1), Life Science (B2), and/or Laboratory Science (B3) that have not already been met by approved GE Courses. Must have one semester of matriculated (admitted and enrolled) at SJSU.
Students who have completed the Intensive Science courses with a "C-" or better, will be allowed to use these courses to fulfill the requirement in B1/B3 or B2/B3.
- PHYS 50, PHYS 51, or PHYS 52, and CHEM 1A; or
- PHYS 2A, PHYS 2B and CHEM 1A
The assigned area reviewer is the Associate Dean, College of Science
Students who have completed in-depth coursework in music that is not certified for GE may request an alternative package to satisfy CORE Area C. Students who have completed the Intensive Music courses with a “C-" or better, will be allowed to use these courses to fulfill the requirements in C1 or C2. The assigned area reviewer is the Associate Dean, Humanities & the Arts.
- MUSC 4A, MUSC 4B, and MUSC 12
For learning outcomes, see University's Institutional Learning. Upper division requirements (SJSU Studies) are general education courses that are
only offered to juniors and seniors (upper division standing). SJSU Studies is used
to fulfill 9 units residency and upper division general education requirement (see Catalog). The minimum writing requirement is 3000 words.
There are no designated area reviewers. An Academic Advisor can sign this petition. It can also be sent directly to Undergraduate Education.
The California State University (CSU) junior-level writing requirement is known as the “Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement” (GWAR). Courses must have a minimum of 8000 words.
Area Reviewer: Thomas Moriarty, Director of Writing Across the Curriculum, English Department.
Completion or plan to complete coursework that satisfies one or more of the State of California American Institutions (AI) requirements that are not currently articulated.
US 1: American History - Courses should fulfill at least 100 years or both pre- and post-Civil War time. Area Reviewer, Department Chair of History, Political Science
US 2: American Government/Politics - Courses should be able to describe (1) how political decisions are made, (2) describe the links between the people and government, and (3) the U.S. Constitutions. Area Reviewer, Department Chair of Political Science, Dr. Garrick Percival
US 3: California Government/Politics - Courses should (1) The relationship between state and local government in California, (2) the basic issues of California politics, and (3) changes on the history and politics of the state. Area Reviewer, Department Chair of Political Science, Dr. Garrick Percival
Undergraduate Students who matriculate at SJSU (admitted and enrolled) need to complete two units (or two activity courses) to meet the Physical Education (PE) Requirements per University Policy S14-11. [pdf] Students may satisfy this requirement by either:
- Taking two units of PE activity courses.
- Taking two physical education activity courses (of less than one unit).
- Taking one single activity course of 2-or-more units.
- Participating in Intercollegiate Athletics (must be two different sports to clear need).
- Taking the Adapted Physical Activities (KIN 1), designed to accommodate individuals with disabilities (repeatable for credit with instructor consent).
- Completed an ADT that waives the PE. If waiver is not showing on your MySJSU, please submit an updated transcript that reflects ADT on the transcript.
- Completed at least one year of active duty in the armed services (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard or Space Force). Please consult with the Veterans Resource Center (VRC)
- Major waives PE, see Exceptions for University Graduation Requirements.
Activity courses at SJSU are not repeatable for credit, unless indicated in the course description.