The following public transit agencies serve the region around SJSU:
- Altamont Corridor Express (ACE) is a rail service from the Central Valley (Stockton, Lathrop/Manteca, Tracy) and the East Bay (Livermore, Pleasanton, Fremont) to San Jose Diridon Train Station.
- Amtrak Capitol Corridor is an intercity train service operating between Auburn, Sacramento, Oakland, and San Jose Diridon Station.
- BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) is a commuter rail system serving the South Bay, East Bay, San Francisco, north Peninsula, and SFO. As of June 6th, 2020, BART is now operating in Milpitas and San Jose
- Caltrain is a regional rail line serving San Francisco, San Jose, Gilroy, and stations in between.
- The Highway 17 Express Bus provides service between downtown Santa Cruz (Metro Center), Scotts Valley, and San Jose (Diridon Station).
To view COVID related changes for these transit lines visit our COVID-19 Response page.
Regional Transit Transfers on VTA to SJSU
Many regional transit lines that drop off at San Jose Diridon receive free transfers on VTA; visit VTA's website for more information. If you are taking a regional route to SJSU that does not offer a free VTA transfer, visit our SmartPass Overview page to see if you are eligible for the SmartPass.
The following long distance transit agencies serve the region around SJSU:
- FlixBus - FlixBus is an intercity bus service with departures from downtown San Jose, which serves many California cities, including service to Los Angeles, Las Vegas, San Luis Obispo, San Diego, and Santa Barbara.
- Greyhound - Greyhound is an intercity bus service with departures from Diridon Station, which serves many California cities. Greyhound is historically the largest intercity bus company in the US, with by far the most destinations, but it is also the more expensive option. Note that Greyhound is affiliated with FlixBus, and Greyhound's website shows both Greyhound and FlixBus tickets.
- Tufesa - Tufesa is an intercity bus service with departures from East San Jose, and serves destinations in California, Arizona, and Mexico.
- Amtrak San Joaquins - This train route runs from Oakland/Emeryville to Stockton, Merced, Fresno, Bakersfield, and destinations in between. To access this route from SJSU, one can buy an Amtrak ticket that starts in San Jose and transfers at Oakland/Emeryville, or one can take BART from Berryessa Station to Richmond Station, which is served by the San Joaquins.
- Amtrak Coast Starlight - This train route runs from Diridon Station south to Salinas, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Oxnard, and Los Angeles, and from San Jose north to Chico, Redding, Dunsmuir, Klamath Falls, Eugene, Salem, Portland, Tacoma, Seattle, and cities in between.
- Amtrak Thruway Bus - Amtrak offers dirrect bus service from San Jose to a variety of smaller California destinations, including Yosemite National Park, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, and Stockton. To see available destinations, visit Amtrak.
There are three international airports accessible from SJSU, San Jose Mineta International, Oakland International, and San Francisco International. Directions to each of these airports can be found at Pre-Planned Trips.