Our Strategic Plan
After months of dialogue, deliberations, and reflections by our faculty, students, and staff, our college unanimously adopted a new 3-year strategic plan in January 2020. Additionally, our college is committed to taking action to advance racial justice in our community and our faculty, staff, and students have identified several priorities for the 2020-2021 academic year to continue to decolonize our own institution and the systems within which we operate.
Strategic Plan Identity Statement
At the SJSU Lurie College of Education, we prepare transformative educators, counselors, therapists, school and community leaders. We do this through an emancipatory approach across our teaching, scholarship, and service with a focus on the four areas below.
We strive to become the hub for community-centered, educational transformation in the region.
We value and sustain the linguistic and cultural practices of the communities we serve and make that the foundation of our work.
We foster a caring and supportive community of belonging, connectedness, and appreciation.
We learn together across and beyond the college, transforming schooling and benefitting our communities.
2020-2021 Strategic Plan Grants
During the Spring 2020 term, we coordinated a grant proposal process within our college to support endeavors by our faculty, students, and staff that advance our four priority areas. The six projects that have been awarded funding include:
Strategic Plan Steering Committee
- Sarah Arreola - Staff, Dean's Office
- Dolores Avila - Graduate student, Counselor Education
- Rebeca Burciaga, PhD - Associate Professor, Educational Leadership
- Brian Cheung Dooley - Staff, Dean's Office
- Mark Felton, PhD - Professor, Teacher Education
- Maria Fusaro, EdD - Associate Professor, Child & Adolescent Development
- Amy Gutierrez - Lecturer, Counselor Education
- Heather Lattimer, EdD - Dean, Lurie College
- Marcella McCollum - Lecturer, Communicative Disorders & Sciences; Doctoral student, EdD Leadership
- Eduardo Muñoz-Muñoz, PhD - Assistant Professor, Teacher Education
- Luz Nicacio - Undergraduate student, Child & Adolescent Development
- Ana Paz-Rangel - Staff, Dean's Office
- Marcos Pizarro, PhD - Associate Dean, Lurie College
- Saul Ruiz - Staff, Student Success Center
- Isabel Vallejo, EdD - Staff, Dean's Office
- David Whitenack, PhD - Professor, Teacher Education