Ending My F-1 Status

During your time at SJSU, there may be several reasons that you might need to end your F-1 immigration status. Ending your immigration record (e.g. SEVIS record) does not necessarily mean you are ending your academic program at SJSU.

The following are some of the reasons you may request to end your F-1 immigration status:

  1. You have been approved for a new immigration status, such as H-1B or Permanent Residency.
  2. You are departing the U.S. to complete your degree from abroad.
  3. You are ending your Post-Completion OPT or STEM OPT earlier than expected, and departing the U.S.
  4. You are withdrawing from SJSU or you are taking a leave of absence from SJSU.
    1. Review our Leave of Absence information, then submit your Leave of Absence Request
    2. If you are transferring to another U.S. institution and wish to have your SEVIS record transferred, please visit our website information and submit your SEVIS Transfer Out Request.
  5. You are graduating/completing your Program and departing the U.S.

Do Not request to end your F-1 status if your plans include:

  1. Gaining work experience in your major field of study after graduation. Apply for Post-Completion OPT if you are eligible. You will need to review the OPT website, OPT Tutorial and then submit your Post-Completion Optional Practical Training I-20 Request to ISSS.
  2. Changing academic levels at SJSU. If you have been admitted to a new degree program at SJSU, you will need to get a new I-20 by the start of the new program. Please submit the Change in Educational Level I-20 Request.
  3. Transferring your SEVIS record to another school. If you have been admitted to a new degree program at another U.S. school, you will need to request a SEVIS transfer. Please review our Transfer Out webpage and submit the SEVIS Transfer Out Request.

How to end Your F-1 immigration status

Carefully review the reasons to end your F-1 immigration status (above) to see if one of the options applies to you. If so, submit your request to End My F-1 Status to ISSS. If you are unsure about whether to end your F-1 immigration status, please schedule an appointment with an ISSS advisor to discuss your plans. Once your request is approved, your F-1 SEVIS record will end and your I-20 will no longer be valid.

How can you return to SJSU and the U.S. in F-1 status in the future?

You must apply for a new “Initial” I-20 with a new SEVIS ID number, 3-4 months prior to your intended return to the United States/SJSU.

  • If you will return to your SJSU academic program from an approved leave of absence, please review our website for more information and submit your Return from Leave of Absence I-20 Request.
  • If you will be able to return to your SJSU academic program without re-applying for admission, you must submit your Return to SJSU I-20 Request.
  • If you will not be able to return to your SJSU academic program, then you will need to submit a new application for admission. Please review the Admissions Office website for more information.
  • If you plan to attend another institution, please follow their guidelines for requesting an initial I-20.

Future F-1 CPT or OPT employment eligibility

Ending your immigration status now may impact your future CPT or OPT employment eligibility. In general, after returning to the U.S.with a new Initial Form I-20, you must complete at least 2 full-time sequential semesters (one fall and one spring) in the U.S. before becoming eligible for off-campus employment, such as CPT or OPT. Please schedule an appointment with an ISSS advisor to discuss when you are eligible for CPT or OPT employment.

Contact Us

San José State University

One Washington Square
Student Union - CPGE
San Jose, CA 95192-0135

Office Hours

Monday-Friday 9am – 4:30pm

Back to Top