Questions about FAFSA and CADAA?

Visit our Financial Aid and Scholarship Office for updated information, workshops and FAQs.


  • On-Campus Employment: You may work on-campus. Any on-campus job is limited to 20 hours per week during the academic semester but can be full-time during official school breaks. After obtaining a job offer, request a work permit from the ISSS office. You will need to get on-campus employment authorization from ISSS before you can start working. You may also need to apply for a Social Security number (SSN).
  • Off-campus EmploymentAcademic Training (AT) provides an opportunity for J-1 students to participate in experiential learning that is an integral part of the program of study.  Training can be paid or unpaid. One semester exchange students will be limited to four months of Academic Training authorization. If participating in a full academic year exchange program, up to 9 months of AT is allowed. You will need to obtain authorization from ISSS before starting work.

Pre-Completion. Training is authorized during your studies before the exchance program ends. Limited to part-time, 20 hours per week or less, during the academic term.

Post-Completion. Training is authorized after completion of exchange program (academic semester).  Post-completion AT can be part-time (20 hours or less) or full-time (more than 20 hours and up to 40 hours a week). 

Contact Us

San José State University

One Washington Square
Student Union - CPGE
San Jose, CA 95192-0135

Office Hours

Monday-Friday 9am – 4:30pm

Back to Top